Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge modified choke shot size for grouse

12 gauge modified choke shot size for grouse

Hello!

I need a quick hand. I have to hit up CDN tire in Langley tomorrow and hopefully find a box of 12ga ammo for shooting some grouse this weekend.

I only have modified choke for my shotgun. Previously I was using #4 1oz loads. They seemed pretty good. I'd aim a few inches above the head and 20-40 yards, I would usually only end up getting the head with only one or two (or sometimes none) in the breast. Some of the closer ones I'd miss entirely though as I am aiming too high and the spread hadn't gone down far enough.

I don't want to shoot up the grouse too much, but would like to increase my odds of hitting a little. It looks like CDN tire only has 1 1/8oz. I have no idea where to go from here... #4, #5, #6, #7.5.

I am leaning towards #6.

One thing I noticed last weekend too was that for a couple years of whacking grouse with #4 1oz loads, it was soft on the ears and I wouldn't hesitate to pop grouse once in a while without plugs. I ran out of #4 1oz this weekend and shot a 7.5 1 1/8 oz cartridge at a bird and it blew out my ear pretty good. Felt the recoil difference too. Is that the extra 1/8oz or probably higher velocity round? I guess velocity is another consideration.

My typical grouse encounter is 7 - 40 yards.. soo... what the heck should I do? lol ... I am learning towards #5 or #6 1 1/8 (since no 1oz avail and dont have time to hit up another store)

Please decide for me HBC
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 12 gauge modified choke shot size for grouse

Whatever is cheapest it’s grouse hunting lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Whatever is cheapest it’s grouse hunting lol
    It's all pretty cheap but I'd feel bad if I turned a grouse into swiss cheese... I've never shot one with a 7.5 but I fear that might happen more times than not if I go buy a bulk cause of 7.5 to save a few cents (and I only shoot a dozen or so per year)

Buy a .22 and have more fun plonkin them in the head
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    It's all pretty cheap but I'd feel bad if I turned a grouse into swiss cheese... I've never shot one with a 7.5 but I fear that might happen more times than not if I go buy a bulk cause of 7.5 to save a few cents (and I only shoot a dozen or so per year)
    If you’re worried check your pattern on paper that way you can stick to head shots comfortabley. You will loose range with smaller shot

I got a crap load of 4# along time ago and it’s all I use but I take head neck shots. I don’t know how many grouse I shoot a year but it’s way more then a dozen

Honestly have never put much thought into grouse hunting

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Wingshooting with a shotgun is way more fun and you have to be fast

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Lol ya I like shooting them with the 10/22 as well and it's the cheapest way to go. And my grouse-panic makes me shoot them through the breast with the 22 half the time and it's probably as bad aiming dead center with 7.5 lol ... head/neck shots with a 22 are the best though if you have the time and discipline... usually don't have the time though

I think I'll just go with the #6 ... it should be reasonably close to what I am used to with better chance of hitting when aiming high to hit the head or winging them... and at worst I'll have a few more pellets through the breast. I won't really have time to practice and pattern the different round. It will be a live practice scenario

Sounds great!! Let us know how it goes this weekend!!!
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I got a crap load of 4# along time ago and it’s all I use but I take head neck shots.
    What choke?