Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason for low ungulate populations

Re: Reason for low ungulate populations

Just goes to show why we need to do our part as hunters and put some preds down every year...think if you manage to take 2 bears and you and a buddy manage to bag 2 cougars....we are talking hundreds of deer saved in one year...multiple that by a lot of hunters well it would be a damn good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    A group of 5 cougars that's nuts! God how many deer does that group eat...

Wow man I would shit myself of I was standing there...a North American pride of lions

I have numerous cam sets that have recorded cats with twins and triplets.
    Life is good if momma can sustain 2 and even 3 kits into their second year.

They are not living on granola.

Family units that can be as large as 5 to 6 cats will be hard on deer.
    I am sure their stalking to kill ratios go up dramatically once the kits get into their second yr before the family unit dissolves.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Just goes to show why we need to do our part as hunters and put some preds down every year...think if you manage to take 2 bears and you and a buddy manage to bag 2 cougars....we are talking hundreds of deer saved in one year...multiple that by a lot of hunters well it would be a damn good start.
    It's not really a linear relationship with pred control.

You have to consider predator infill (predators are mobile and will quickly claim unoccupied territories) as well as increased litter survival as competition for food sources decreases.

Also, cougars are an intensively managed species in BC. If harvest increases outside the boundaries of the "safe zone" in the population matrix tools, the seasons will be rapidly shortened to keep harvest within safe levels, especially harvest of females which is the ultimate driver of populations.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Yea fair enough...almost feels like you'll never get a leg up on them lol

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Yea fair enough...almost feels like you'll never get a leg up on them lol
    In days gone by, cats tended to cycle up and down with the mule deer population.

Now that we have whitetails in traditional muley areas, when the mule deer populations go down, cats will supplement their diets more with whitetails, and the perfect storm of declining mule deer and maintained high cats can be a big problem for mulies.

Really good study on this here: http://www.sgrc.selkirk.ca/bioatlas/...ion_Growth.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Predators are on the rise over the past twenty years because we don't kill as many of them.... It was not so long ago that every farmer had a rifle in his truck and killed a wolf or bear or...when encountered. And we had garbage dumps in every logging camp that attracted Grizzlies that then had to be killed. In general there was a pile of incidental predator killing going on.

And not long before that (up to the 80s or even the 90s) we had poison in many landscapes that pretty much wiped predators out. And if I'm not mistaken there were more people with cougar dogs who kept them to smaller populations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordillera View Post
    Predators are on the rise over the past twenty years because we don't kill as many of them.... It was not so long ago that every farmer had a rifle in his truck and killed a wolf or bear or...when encountered. And we had garbage dumps in every logging camp that attracted Grizzlies that then had to be killed. In general there was a pile of incidental predator killing going on.

And not long before that (up to the 80s or even the 90s) we had poison in many landscapes that pretty much wiped predators out. And if I'm not mistaken there were more people with cougar dogs who kept them to smaller populations.

Your right on all counts

Picked up another card today , two miles from the first one. Same results. The trail camera times and dates are little off.

Ungulate count , four deer and one moose, chased off by a grizz