Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (GSP) Gun Dog Owner Help

New (GSP) Gun Dog Owner Help

Hey Folks!
    I’m a GSP puppy dad in a few months (hopefully) and I couldn’t be more excited and nervous. This will be my first ever dog so this will be a learning experience for everyone and I’m hoping to pick your brains for a minute.
    I really enjoy upland hunting, I’m an avid waterfouler, and I do enjoy deer hunting. Already I’m wondering if these three would be too much for one dog to learn. I know the importance of the basic commands and social norms and hope to instill them in my puppy early on so we can build a strong bond.
    I’ve YouTubed things, read some online articles, and watched some videos in the generic sense but now I have some tough specific questions. Like is training with live birds necessary? I live in the Sea to Sky so there’s not a lot places to go that aren’t filled with tourists. And if training with live birds is necessary, how does one go about training? Another; how does one teach a pointer to point?
    I’m sure I have a ton more questions once I start wrapping my head around it and I’m grateful for any advice. Also a leads/recommendations on a gun dog trainer who does workshops in the weekends will be welcome

Thanks in advance. Happy hunting!
    -Tigger

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New (GSP) Gun Dog Owner Help

First off, you don't need to teach a pointer to point. It is a natural instinct and is so cool to see. Even 5-6 wk old puppies will point.

Second, GSP's are very high energy and need high amounts of exercise every day. They also need mental stimulation. Just running will help, but they really need something to focus on and use their brain. Because they are high energy, it might be difficult for big game hunting, especially when the dog is young (<3yrs).

Upland and water foul is possible. Look into versatile dig training.

I'm on my second GSP and love them. Invest in a decent electronic collar, it makes training much easier and they learn fast.

Enjoy.

Hey Koothhbter,
    1. So since they point naturally it would just be a matter of shaping that nature into what is desirable?
    2. We chose this breed specifically for their high energy because we live a very active lifestyle and this breed compliments it wonderfully. I’ve also been looking into way to mentally challenge the dog for the days where we might not be able to give her a good run that day.
    3. I’ve heard of hunters loosing their dog to pointing on a bird that either the hunter can’t get to, or they have no idea where they are (no gps collar) would the electric collar help with that? Also are they anything like shock collars? I’d rather train with positive reinforcement than shock the dog.

thanks for the advice!

Hey Jlirot

that looks like a fantastic read thanks for putting me on it. I’ll be sure to give it a read

thanks!

You should check out standing stone kennels on youtube. Lots of great info

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger264 View Post

3. I’ve heard of hunters loosing their dog to pointing on a bird that either the hunter can’t get to, or they have no idea where they are (no gps collar) would the electric collar help with that? Also are they anything like shock collars? I’d rather train with positive reinforcement than shock the dog.
    Ecollars are essential for high energy big running dogs imho. I have a couple of non hunting friends that have EPs as family dogs. They held back on buying a ecollar until 8-9 months and recall definitely suffered. I used mine wisely at 4-5 months and barely need it now the dogs turned 1. I only put it on for a safety precaution. Don’t forget ecollars have variable stimulation, you always turn it down to the lowest setting possible so it’s just annoying the dog, not supposed to be painful.

You can definitely train with positive reinforcement in the back yard but it doesn’t work at range. According to US army research dogs have about 2 seconds to be praised/corrected or they lose the association. Classic example - dog chases deer, runs off for 15 minutes then eventually comes back and gets punished. Dog then thinks it got punished for coming back not for chasing the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    That and the NAVHDA “Green Book” are MUST HAVES. Joan trains her dogs in a great style. I’m lucky that my wife also hunts upland and has worked with dogs for decades, so I get handed the keys to a great pair of hunting dogs every fall.

None of the versatile hunting dogs are great “beginner dogs”, but if you put the time in for the first 2-3 years (a LOT of time), you will have a great companion and hunting partner in the end.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger264 View Post
    Hey Koothhbter,
    1. So since they point naturally it would just be a matter of shaping that nature into what is desirable?
    2. We chose this breed specifically for their high energy because we live a very active lifestyle and this breed compliments it wonderfully. I’ve also been looking into way to mentally challenge the dog for the days where we might not be able to give her a good run that day.

thanks for the advice!
    Dogtra makes a collar called the 2500 B&T (beeper and trainer) for a single dog and a 2700 for two dogs. The beeper can be set so that it will beep when ever the dog goes on point. It's a good feature to have because anyone who has ever hunted a pointer for pheasants in thick cover before has problem had this happen,,,,the dog goes on point in real thick cover you have no idea where the dog is. The dog can be less than 5 yards away but you can't see them on point.

The beeping function can be used as a locator button, as well, any time you want to check where your dog is when it's out of sight. It can be heard up to several hundred yards away. Even further if you're on flat terrain. I've trained my griff to return when she hears three consecutive beeps ,,,,,saves your voice and was easy to teach since she recalls on three tweets of the whistle, as well.

5 Years in,2 things I've learned about GSP high energy is a fact and natural pointing ability is something true to behold. Over 50 pheasants later I feel it's almost like cheating with a pointer over a flusher. My girl is not a duck dog she will retrieve them but not her favourite.Grouse and pheasants yes they are her game. Collar is a must , as they rove so far so fast that keeping them close and safe can be an issue.She does not need a "nick" anymore as my collar has the buzz and tone options and usually the buzz is plenty good.Another great thing is they are wonderful family dogs and my wife has fallen for her after having labs for 30 years.Got another lab anyway as she cannot handle the tough going in heavy weather or retrieving in the salt chuck.But for upland hunting is where she shines and never fails to amaze me how smart she is ,even to this day, no regrets would get another in a minute. on full lock with my friends draught
    Last edited by Dutch; 10-18-2021 at 08:36 AM.