Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

The B.C. Ministry of Forests is proposing new limits to mule deer
    I thought hunting and fishing was under the ministry of fish and wildlife.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Obviously harvest data that is accurate would be very helpful at this point. If it is the case that most hunters only harvest one mule deer than this new regulation will do nothing to improve deer population. At the very least manage deer pops region to region and M-U to M-U. Putting a blanket regulation across the province seems like the government is just throwing a certain group a bone.

There are several stakeholders that would love nothing more than to see LEH for different species and areas in the province. Not tough to figure that out. It sure aint for conservation but is being wrapped in that blanket.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I would also argue that it is not economical harvesting a couple of mule deer or even one over going to Costco. Obviously there are going to be perimeters that will make it less viable to make it economic for some but I think many hunters benefit from harvesting their own meat. In my area beef is 6-8 dollars a pound all in ( hook price, slaughter and butcher costs) so what would wild organic deer meat cost 10 dollars a pound. I harvest 2 decent bucks and get 75 pounds of deboned meat of off each one after I process them myself, that is 150 pounds of meat at 10 dollars a pound equals $1500 worth of venison. Even coming from the island that makes things viable and more economic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    There are several stakeholders that would love nothing more than to see LEH for different species and areas in the province. Not tough to figure that out. It sure aint for conservation but is being wrapped in that blanket.
    Yes, this is true^^^^
    But it isn't easy to figure out, takes time, the average hunter doesn't have the time with busy lives etc

I'm also far from starving, lol, the only time I eat beef is when I go to a restaurant which I dont do very often, only when I'm starving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Unless you hunt close to home and achieve success in limited days Costco is cheap compared to mule deer hunting. Let’s be honest here tradition and way of life is valid but if you are traveling to hunt meat is not cost effective. If your road hunting odds are your bills are even higher

Love deer meat myself and 50/50 if I am looking for any buck or something big. I became honest with myself long ago I hunt for the hunt and meat is a treat that comes with it.

Guys really need to be honest why we hunt true meat hunters are rare.
    Ain't that the truth..

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Just put in antler restrictions and mule deer grow miraculously on mule deer trees.
    Keep holding hands kids, you will need all the support you can get right now.
    Good luck with your way of thinking, after all look where we stand now.

Do the math all you want to, simple fact is Wildlife is on the decline and nothing has been done to the regs to prevent it.

A 60 Day WT Doe Season in Region 8 is a good way to help the cause, and this future Mule Deer Resolution isn't going to help much.
    After all didn't you say very few a filling the second tag anyway?

You and your group are the best Game Managers and Bios that ever set foot on this earth. Never willing to look at anything that would take
    away your opportunity.

Keep it up and 20 years from now guys will use your quotes on how those guys did it all wrong.

When we finally kick the NDP turds out of office and a proper funding model is established, I hope the MOE puts more $$ into actual harvest counts...I know they send us the questionnaires but they only ask every Hunter for specific hunts and animals..I always let them know what exactly I harvested, but if we had exact numbers harvested by regulated hunting instead of using confidence intervals it would be more accurate..

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post

Do the math all you want to, simple fact is Wildlife is on the decline and nothing has been done to the regs to prevent it.

A 60 Day WT Doe Season in Region 8 is a good way to help the cause, and this future Mule Deer Resolution isn't going to help much.

You and your group are the best Game Managers and Bios that ever set foot on this earth. Never willing to look at anything that would take
    away your opportunity.

Keep it up and 20 years from now guys will use your quotes on how those guys did it all wrong.
    Year after year I see the same number of whitetail on winter range in reg8.... Increased numbers in a few areas I frequent....half the season you talk about is bow only, very little impact overall..

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post

away your opportunity.

What a condescending bunch of twaddle
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this