Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: sitting duck

Re: sitting duck

Quote Originally Posted by Rackem View Post
    It's pure ego. Made up rules by people who like rules. I never use the word sport or sporting in reference to my hunting activities. It seems to me to be a frivolous way to view killing an animal, associating it with sport. Shooting is a sport. Football is a sport. Killing something is not a sport.
    Is it any less egotistical to say you get to determine what is a sport such as football or shooting, but killing something is not a sport? Couldn't that be considered a rule you made up?

I fully understand that for you, killing something is not a sport and it strikes me as a well thought out and very "subjective" call. However, for many of us, it is a sport and we alone get to make the determination of what is sporting and what isn't, in our minds and our lives.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Is it any less egotistical to say you get to determine what is a sport such as football or shooting, but killing something is not a sport? Couldn't that be considered a rule you made up?

I fully understand that for you, killing something is not a sport and it strikes me as a well thought out and very "subjective" call. However, for many of us, it is a sport and we alone get to make the determination of what is sporting and what isn't, in our minds and our lives.

I get to determine of course, FOR ME. You are quite free in this country, to make your own determination. I am not your dictator nor can I control your mind.

Sport for me, is not a serious enough term. It (for me) lacks enough respect. It implies a game, killing for fun. I don't find the kill fun. Necessary as I don't want to eat a kicking animal, but not fun.

So yes, I make up my own rules of conduct and you make up yours. That is the purpose of a discussion, to see if you like your rules still or if you have learned a new and interesting idea that may shift your own paradigm.. If you resist and feel uncomfortable at first, generally you could be experiencing cognitive dissonance, the first step in a paradigm shift.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." Oscar Wilde

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

First of all I agree that killing is not a sport, perhaps that is why sluicing rafts of floating ducks with a punt gun was outlawed years ago, doing it with a 12 bore is simply killing on a smaller scale. As for wing shooting being an ego trip, really? Pride maybe, because it takes a great amount of practice and skill to drop flying ducks moving at up to 50 mph, faster with the wind in his tail, consistantly and a proficient wing shooter has every right to be proud. Finally to say it is not sporting for 10 shooters to fire into a flock dropping multiple birds. Let me assure you that if the shooters were indeed simply firing into the flock there would be very few birds on the ground. Each shooter first picks then aims and fires on an individual bird and if he downs more than one it is usually because he has picked 2 or 3 individual targets and fired on each one. Good wing shooting is a skill that must be honed and as previously stated a shotgun is a wing shooters tool, not a weapon of mass distruction. Anyone who believes otherwise does not know the sport and may be better served to take time to try it and learn its art
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

You are misunderstanding.

I am not saying shooting the duck on the wing is an ego trip, lol, I am saying looking down on others who decide to take a duck for dinner whilst it is sitting on the water is.

If you can shoot a duck or more on the wing great! Good for you! That is good shooting! But there should be no shame in plinking one for dinner either.

I have been on many many duck and goose hunts, I am not saying that is wrong, I am just saying that wing shooting often leads to a bunch of injured birds, which I am not a big fan of. I also do skeet shoots or whatever you call it when we just shoot clay pigeons from a launcher for prizes.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rackem View Post
    If you resist and feel uncomfortable at first, generally you could be experiencing cognitive dissonance, the first step in a paradigm shift.

Yes, but if I resist and don't feel uncomfortable at all.... It just means I have my own ideas and don't agree with you (or your rules)
    To warm barrels and cold noses

It's when you start telling me that your way is the only right way, that I challenge the thought process.

Ego is the only reason you would look down on someone for taking a duck on the water for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Yes, but if I resist and don't feel uncomfortable at all.... It just means I have my own ideas and don't agree with you (or your rules)
    Exactly! Now you get it!

I don't think Slucing rafts of ducks was outlawed because it wasnt sporting.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 10-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I don't think Slucing rafts of ducks was outlawed because it wasnt sporting.
    Hahahaha.....of course you don't, we'd expect nothing less! K

Just throwing this out there, but I think sluicing rafted birds with punt guns during the market hunting days, might have had a bit more to do with conservation then sport. I know everytime I sluice a duck, a old timer cries. And because of that, I sleep well
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 10-17-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.