Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dealing with animal hair

Re: Dealing with animal hair

It all sounds like too much work so far. Or messy. Just use a clean nozzle (4" wide) on the shop vac. So fast and not a hair in site. We use it on all our animals and it cleans it up in a single pass.
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

Shaving will make things worse as now you have hair that is not attached anymore and will fly all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Backwoods.....Have you ever been in a butcher shop when an animal is killed and the guts dropped out?...They then skin the animal and then wash the entire carcass ...My butcher told me washing the meat in vinegar and baking soda in hot water ...then after scrubbing dry completely ....A little air circulating around the meat and a skin will form ...You then can bag the quarters in good quality meat bags to keep the meat clean ...I also scrub the ribs and inside area with a stiff bristle brush...Also when skinning it helps to pull the hide off as much as you can..Being doing this for 50 years and my butcher says I have some of the cleanest meat ..Just my 2 bits to the subject ...Dennis
    Yes have been in many many butcher shops, I believe everyone has their own way of doing things, I've been told from more than one butcher it is not good to have water contacting the meat due to bacteria growing quicker on the meat, I have never needed to wash my meat off with water, ussually just a few hairs to pick off. Also if it is getting washed in the butcher shop, it's in a good clean cold environment. Clean wash and roll the hanger into the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by BTF View Post
    You can also use the tongue of the animal to wipe the hair off, dip it in a pail of water to rid the tongue of hair and repeat. works great on moose.
    Oh yea, great bloody tip here BTF!!! I tried that a few years ago after I read it on here, that buck god dam near killed me when I started to pull his tongue out to wipe away the hair on his hind quarters!!! He had me pinned to the ground with his horns for a good 20 minutes until the rest of his guts finally fell out!!! I pressure wash now and use a "Concrete" brush, it's way bloody safer let me tell you!

I find when you start the opening cut cant your knife about 5 degrees. A sharp knife makes a heckuva difference as well. Generally we skin the brisket back and split it, skin the hocks. We skin first then drop the guts. A tractor with a loader makes this very easy.

I usually get my animal first day and have the rest of the week to pick hair while my buddies are trying to fill their tag.Unfortunately you become "CAMP B*TCH"

As mentioned earlier in this thread , We just fire up the Tiger torch and run it quickly across the quarters and singe the hair off , its quick and easy and does a fantastic job , An old butcher showed us this method and we have been doing it for over 20 years.

When I used to hang my own meat I used the propane tiger torch. Some guys I know use compressed air. However, I just take my animals straight to my butcher now. He has a nicely set up shop where he lives. We hang it up and skin it right there. He hoses the carcass down with the hottest water he can muster, towel dry then hang in the cooler for a week or so. Nicest meat I've ever had. His day job is butchering for a big grocery chain store. He says the major big time butcher shops use near scalding hot water to hose down the meat. If done right away the skin that forms on the carcass is very light, so there is very little waste when needing to cut this skin away when cutting.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
    Thx for this.
    I'm going to try to make some after our fall Whitetail hunt. I'm a rookie hunter and didn't keep any organs from my first ever hunt last year.

We were gone for 5 days. So how do you keep the liver? Will it be ok in a cooler for that long or should I freeze it after gutting the animal?
    i always carry a good strong plastic bag to put the liver in after i lay it on the snow/somewhere clean to drain.. then cool it asap or freeze it for pate later if you have to