Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Mater the Griffon

Re: Mater the Griffon

What a grand dog your pup has become

Looked like he was Dog tired.lol

Well September is almost here and we are so ready to get out in the bush. Mater had lots of good family outings this year. We had countless bunny hunts close to home. Ive got a bunch of video stalking cottontails down to 8yds, either by scent or sight. We did a lot of work on steady as the rabbits broke, Its getting easier to call him off as he is starting to mature. This year is going to be a good one.

rabbit hunt

We went to rock creek and spent some time floating down the kettle river. The first day I had mater with me on the tiny kayak. It went ok but we flipped a few times in the rapids. The second day he rode in his own boat and I just tied him up to me. He stayed up the whole time enjoying the view as we floated past deer and geese. It doesn't matter what we do, he is always game to try

Last edited by yamadirt 426; 08-28-2016 at 09:05 AM.

The next weekend we spent up at the inlaws cabin on Higgins lake in the cariboo. Mater loves to go fishing and has to have his nose in the net to try and pick up the fish for us. Always keen to help and if we tried to go out with out him he would just swim his way out to the boat

He did his best to keep the geese away from the cabin

he would swin all day long if given the chance and he is actually a good dog to swim with, as he will just swim beside you and not try and climb up on you like a lot of dogs will.

hes in the middle of the geese in this pic

Last edited by yamadirt 426; 08-28-2016 at 09:07 AM.

about a month ago I put up a post in the for sale section of hbc on a Friday looking to see if anyone had a crf50 that their kids have out grown. Within an hour I had a reply and was on my way to pick up a bike. Sako7 stepped up huge with a nice bike and a great price. Once my kids have out grown it I will hopefully pass it on to another members kids. We have already had some great rides on this bike. Thanks again Sako7 ! Mater runs very well with us on the bikes.

and last weekend we had a boating trip on stave lake, If hes not riding the bow, hes sitting on his other seat.

I have not yet been able to find an activity he has not been willing to try, He even jumps around on the trampoline with us or lays there flopping like a fish out of water while we jump around him. Bring on hunting season !!!!!!!

He's such a great pup! He's living the ultimate dog life. I'd say he's pretty lucky to have a family like yours. Thoroughly enjoy your pics.

Thanks Mishka,

We hunted this guy down today, Mater held a solid point. He was on the small side so we let him walk. The funny thing is my 2 cats let him walk als., I never did offer him to the snakes though, they are a little more cold blooded. His lucky day I guess.
    Last edited by yamadirt 426; 08-30-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yamadirt 426 View Post
    Thanks Mishka,

We hunted this guy down today, Mater held a solid point. He was on the small side so we let him walk. The funny thing is my 2 cats let him walk als., I never did offer him to the snakes though, they are a little more cold blooded. His lucky day I guess.
    Great pic, great dog, great thread thanks for sharing your adventure

Another successful annual grouse opener for the kids. Well one kid anyway. My nephew is 14 this year and has always used one of my 20ga or my single shot 12 ga guns. Ive skipped his last 2 birthdays and a Christmas and this year got him a maverick 88 12ga. So off we went with my Dad, son and nephew. We were to stay at a friends place in Princeton and hunted along the way. We hit up our spur road that gives us one bird every year and it did not disappoint us.

That was it for day one well as far as shooting was concerned. Mater made a kill of his own, he picked up one of the homeowners chickens. We introduced them and he was quite good about it for an hour or so but when I went to move the truck he followed my son down by the creek and decided now was the time to try and catch one. I got to him just as he chased and grabbed a bird. I threw my keys as hard as I could but missed him, He dropped the chicken immediately and ran to the creek. He jumped in the middle and lowered his whole body in the water with just his ears, eyes and nose sticking out and I could not coax him out. He knew I was pissed. My son gathered my keys and dropped them at my feet and went to look for the chicken. As I turned from Mater to pick them up he bolted to the truck , jumped in the back seat, head down scared for his life. Lesson learned for me, for him well lets just say I wont leave him to test his will again.

Day 2 brought us no birds , although we had our chances. Busted a covey and a single but no shots were fired.

Day 3 we busted four 7 bird+ coveys and brought down 4 birds.

Last edited by yamadirt 426; 09-29-2016 at 08:28 PM.

My son caught his first fish on his fly rod and was very happy

The highlight for me on the trip was my son finding a snake the chickens had started to attack and he alerted us to come over to him. It was a rubber boa, the first ive ever seen. In fact I never knew we had them here until a thread by Caddisguy. They are a very cool species and it was a thrill to see one and save it from the chickens

They use the tail in defence acting like it was the head of the snake and the chickens were pecking the wrong end which no doubt saved this guy from any injury

Another great beginning to our favorite time of the year.
    Last edited by yamadirt 426; 09-06-2016 at 08:50 PM.