Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Spring Bear

Re: First Spring Bear

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Was able to retrieve both bullets as seen in the last photo. The bullet on left was first shot and when completely through the body at 40yrds and stopped in the skin on the other side without breaking skin. Bullet on right was second shot, point blank in the chest. Also was complete pass through which stopped on the skin on the other side without breaking skin. 180gr 30-06 Federal Fusion. I am very happy with bullet performance. Weighed both bullets on scale at home and they weigh about 9 grams. 180grains is about 11.67grams. So weight retention would be considered decent? Opinions?
    Those bullets held together well and have large frontal areas. The weight retention is about 77%. That's very good performance for a conventional bullet. Good ammo choice. I would also choose 180 gr bullets if I were using a 30-06. I'm happy to see that you have an interest in noticing the actual shot placement, as well as bullet performance and amount of penetration. That's important stuff. This, and the way you handled the situation before the shots, shows that you're well on your way to becoming a fine hunter.

Cheers,
    3S
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Can't slight 75% weight retention on close range shots, those bullets did good.

Nothing wrong with the rope, I've done the same when necessary. I was just chuckling at the human-esque postures...

Nice work! That's going to be some tasty meat for your freezer!

Great storey and pics to follow!! Thanks for sharing! Awesome harvest!! Congrats

always put on the ear protection too
    good job