Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

1899 Guest

Re: Bear protection breed

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Lol wildcater!
    that dog looks rediculous! The bear would laugh itself away!
    Their coat makes for a very good layer of protection - the idea is that a wolf will get a mouthful of dread-locks and nothing else when it tries to bite the dog. They are, imo, exactly ideal family pets though.

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PureCountry View Post

For those of you with Airedales, do any of you breed them and have litters available in the future? I have been interested in them for years but haven't been able to find a litter whenever we were looking to buy.
    It literally took me years to find the right dog. I was in fairly regular contact with Clint_S but it never came together with his litters. For example, he had pups available just as I moved into Family Housing at University!

I strongly recommend joining Traditional Working Airedale forum:
    http://traditionalairedale.proboards.com/

Good folks on there and there are pups available quite regularly. This is how we ended up finding our dog. Additionally, I would send Clint an envelope with cash and ask him for a pup whenever he happens to have one.

EDIT - just checked the forum - there are some pups available now.
    Last edited by 1899; 01-15-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Here are my two Bullmastiff/Rottweiler cross pups the day after they were delivered to us a couple days before Christmas.

Here is a pic of Zoe from late yesterday she is the one in the rear of the above pic they are now 3 1/2 months old Zoe weighs in at 40lbs I have had them out on the dike everyday but today we headed up the valley for them to get their first taste of hiking bush/trails was a great time I'm really impressed with them.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Here is good bear protection dog "Sarplaninac" ( Ilyrian Shepherd Dog)
    Religion is for people who fear Hell, Spirituality is for people who have been there...

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    Personally if I was only looking for protection collie lab cross. that collie speed is important if the bear is a fighter. People can say try this dog or that dog but the fact is most dogs don't like bears and will chase them unfortunately the ones that run away easy are not the ones you have to worry about. You would be surprised how few dogs will stay in a bear fight for any length of time the last thing you need is the dog hiding behind you and this happens alot. In my neck of the woods I depend on having good bear dogs as the run ins are often. Any dog that won't hold its own on a mean bear is not welcome back home. My kids and wife are to important to me.
    any dog that stand and fights with a bear,only has one life saving option,SPEED,and of course training....k.to things.lol bear almost the same as a cougar....fight don't last long!had a guy lived in camp had to german wolfe hounds f...n huge aggressive dogs,loyal to HIM!!!lol thay fout wolf packs,he lost one but i think he thay had like 5 dead wolves last time i spoke to him

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    Here are my two Bullmastiff/Rottweiler cross pups the day after they were delivered to us a couple days before Christmas.

Here is a pic of Zoe from late yesterday she is the one in the rear of the above pic they are now 3 1/2 months old Zoe weighs in at 40lbs I have had them out on the dike everyday but today we headed up the valley for them to get their first taste of hiking bush/trails was a great time I'm really impressed with them.

WOW......nice dogs, a life time of fun.5 lifetimes of memoirs

Best dog I have ever owned, South African Boerboel. Smartest mastiff breed, minimal shedding/drool. Amazing with my kids and horses etc. Great in the bush when im hunting to warn me of bears. Kody weighs about 185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    Highly over rated those Karelians.
    You may have a point!
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wild...-killed-a-dog/

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Have a friend with an American Bulldog , lovable goof until a bear comes around the yard .

95 pounds on the scale last Thursday at 8 months. Training coming along better than expected. Gonna be by my side through pretty well all of the seasons in both provinces. Game ON!

Cheers,
    Nog[/QUOTE]

Just curious, does having a dog on a hunt adversely affect you in any way in terms hunting success?