Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Confiscated sheep in 2021

Hearing of 7 Stones (so far) this year that were confiscated.
    Anyone know what percentage that is? I have no idea how many get shot in a typical year. Or how many typically get confiscated.

Reasons range from too young and too short to not removing all edible portions.

Who has more info/data?

I don't hunt sheep, but I'm curious

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Do they check your meat when you bring your head in?

Whats the punishment for something like that? Shooting an illegal ram? Or not bringing all the meat out?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

You aren't required to bring meat in for inspection. My understanding fornthat case is the CO checked them on their way home from the mountains.

All 7 guys used to hunt Spences Bridge many years ago.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

It’s legal boom. Trophy sheep. Is a dink sheep really a trophy? How many get shot and left ? Is sheep hunt actually a meat hunt? Is it all about drilling a ram or enjoying the experience and beauty of the place and being grateful to live in a place that we can do this. Look at a class IV ram. Look at a class III. Walking away from class III rams isn’t easy. But when you’ve seen class IVs it’s no problem. Interested to see how many of the harvest are which. One more year or two and a lot of those class III would become class IVs and there would more of them and then we wouldn’t be seeing this.

Anyone who drives 18hrs, flies for 3 and hikes for 10 then tries to call it anything but a trophy hunt is full of shit. Nevermind international hunters who paid $60,000 for the privilege.

The “not enough meat” scenario concerns me. I’ve heard that CO’s will weigh the meat and expect to see a certain poundage. My Brother and I have killed quite a few sheep, and the amount of meat taken out can vary depending on how the shooting goes or other circumstances. It’s easy for shots to destroy half or more of a backstrap, neck or front/hind quarter. I wonder what a CO would do if there’s 10lbs less on the scale than they think there should be?
    One year on a double, the meat from the first ram was lost to a grizzly. We do everything we can to prevent that from happening, but it’s a real risk. So that year we came out with two heads/capes and only one ram worth of meat. Did not get stopped, but when I tell people that experience, they give me a wink and a shit eating smirk like they know the “real” story. I wonder if a CO would automatically assume the same thing and treat you like crap? Ive also shot animals in an open season area but had to hike through LEH area to get there. I take a picture of the untouched animal with my GPS on it to show coordinates, but maybe that wouldn’t be good enough if a CO stopped me in the LEH area. I’ve never been stopped with any animal so just a concern for now.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 09-03-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Anyone who drives 18hrs, flies for 3 and hikes for 10 then tries to call it anything but a trophy hunt is full of shit. Nevermind international hunters who paid $60,000 for the privilege.
    I agree and I own it all day long. Problem is, the term “trophy hunt” means something different for everyone and can be very misleading and dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    The “not enough meat” scenario concerns me. I’ve heard that CO’s will weigh the meat and expect to see a certain poundage. My Brother and I have killed quite a few sheep, and the amount of meat taken out can vary depending on how the shooting goes or other circumstances. It’s easy for shots to destroy half or more of a backstrap, neck or front/hind quarter. I wonder what a CO would do if there’s 10lbs less on the scale than they think there should be?
    One year on a double, the meat from the first ram was lost to a grizzly. We do everything we can to prevent that from happening, but it’s a real risk. So that year we came out with two heads/capes and only one ram worth of meat. Did not get stopped, but when I tell people that experience, they give me a wink and a shit eating smirk like they know the “real” story. I wonder if a CO would automatically assume the same thing and treat you like crap? Ive also shot animals in an open season area but had to hike through LEH area to get there. I take a picture of the untouched animal with my GPS on it to show coordinates, but maybe that wouldn’t be good enough if a CO stopped me in the LEH area. I’ve never been stopped with any animal so just a concern for now.
    Excellent point. Deer, goats, sheep .... all game comes in different body sizes. I can't see the scale method making much sense.

To be honest, I always assumed they lay the deboned meat out and try and guess which piece is which. Don't think that method would work out too well either though.

But it is concerning. Almost all deboned animals look miniscule in comparison to an intact carcass hanging on a hook and I can see any CO being able to get on your case over it.

I, too, take pics of the animal as well as deboned carcass, but have also never been stopped and inspected yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    It’s legal boom. Trophy sheep. Is a dink sheep really a trophy? How many get shot and left ? Is sheep hunt actually a meat hunt? Is it all about drilling a ram or enjoying the experience and beauty of the place and being grateful to live in a place that we can do this. Look at a class IV ram. Look at a class III. Walking away from class III rams isn’t easy. But when you’ve seen class IVs it’s no problem. Interested to see how many of the harvest are which. One more year or two and a lot of those class III would become class IVs and there would more of them and then we wouldn’t be seeing this.

This is key and only comes with time and experience.