Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bison Hunting anyone??? Literally

Re: Bison Hunting anyone??? Literally

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    WOW ! that was Sh*tty ! did you see any game at All ? RJ
    A few cow elk. They were so spooked tho as I figured by Oct there was an exuberant amount of pressure up there. Few does, lynx, and some grouse for the dinner table.

Was an expensive holiday to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    A few cow elk. They were so spooked tho as I figured by Oct there was an exuberant amount of pressure up there. Few does, lynx, and some grouse for the dinner table.

Was an expensive holiday to say the least.
    Sorry to hear ! That's Very Disappointing - Hope you seen some Nice Country ! RJ

Too bad it didn’t pan out for you guys that made the effort. Still better than working though.

My deer hunting partner got invited up on a GOS hunt. I suggested it would be a VERY low chance of seeing anything based on what you guys have posted, and what I’ve read elsewhere. He passed on the trip, but the other guys should arrive in camp tonight. Not sure where exactly they’re going in. I’ve only met one of the other guys that are going, and I doubt he could find his own ass with two hands and a map. That said, there is always a fluke or lucky break. I’ll post up when I hear how it went for them.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Sorry to hear ! That's Very Disappointing - Hope you seen some Nice Country ! RJ
    Beautiful is an understatement. I haven't really hunted that far north before so I was up for the adventure and a chance to look around. Would do it again if a chance comes up next year, but concentrate on moose and elk more than anything.
    Getting up in the morning sleeping in the back of the SUV made me realize I need a better sleeping bag. Any water bottles froze almost solid overnight. Figured about -15 on some nights.
    Got to try out my limits on ropes, and winch on the SXS as well. Lots of bog country up there I got to slosh around in first hand. Takes only seconds to burry the SXS to the mid way point on the doors in the stuff. And then only to realize there are not that many good trees to anchor from to pull out. I was alone in the SXS for 4 days, and only did this once, and that was plenty enough.

All said it was an awesome time and would do it again without much thought.

Would be curious to see how the guys made out in Jan for the GOS.

I tried for 25 years for a bison draw, nothing so with the GOS I thought I may give it a go but it sounds like without a draw it wouldn't be worth it.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Even with a draw it can be hard. Know of a few that didn't even see any animals and they had draws. That said maybe a late hunt on sleds might be better. They were hunting in mid Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    The LEH season was slow up there as well this year. My brother had a tag and we spent 2 weeks without even seeing a track. Mid October. Stories of only one taken with the outfitter. (very low count). They just were not there to be found.

Good luck if you end up going.
    I know of four taken this year, two of which were taken by my husband’s group.

Quote Originally Posted by ajeatoo View Post
    Nice!! Congrats! That’s a lot of good eating right there! What dates were your husbands bison taken, early or late? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ajeatoo View Post
    Was there someone from the “Cupcake Ranch” in your group? I know Dave was heading up that way in late January.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherbyjunkie View Post
    Nice!! Congrats! That’s a lot of good eating right there! What dates were your husbands bison taken, early or late? Cheers
    Thanks, he was up there the last part of November.