Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bison Hunting anyone??? Literally

Re: Bison Hunting anyone??? Literally

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I see Yellowstone park is planning a cull of about 700 animals ,too many in the herd and brucellosis becomes a problem
    Problem in Yellowstone is that the cull has to happen as the Bison leave the high elevation down to the flats outside the park. The herd is over heavy with Bulls and more bulls, they now outnumber the cows. Its awesome as a tourist who wants to see the bulls but not good for overall herd health. They have been allowing culling for some years now and very few bulls get culled. Not uncommon to see herds of close to a 100 bulls only near the roads in the park.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Problem in Yellowstone is that the cull has to happen as the Bison leave the high elevation down to the flats outside the park. The herd is over heavy with Bulls and more bulls, they now outnumber the cows. Its awesome as a tourist who wants to see the bulls but not good for overall herd health. They have been allowing culling for some years now and very few bulls get culled. Not uncommon to see herds of close to a 100 bulls only near the roads in the park.
    Though the imported Canadian wolfs were going to deal with the bison .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Tried for bison GOS, barely enough snow for sleds to get in and hovering around 0C. Covered alot of ground hiking into passes, mountain tops for glassing and sledding out to the far boundaries - not one bison spotted and not one other hunter spotted one single bison that we talked to! Besa River Outfitters had no clients due to lack of bison, sounds like the majority were far off in another valley according to a pilots recon. I was told that the LEH folks in the Sikanni area were also having a hard time finding any there as well in january. Any success stories out there?

saw two wolves, one sitting on an elk and one sleeping beside it but couldnt get close enough for a shot in the thick brush.

Too bad you would think if a guy could use sleds you would see them eventually.i assume you were in nevis? We have some family thinking about going into nevis valley here soon. But they dont have a firm plan yet. We have seen them in the past on the south side of the trail. But with sleds would want to explore the north side and the flats around 10 mile. What about the flats in the gos area near Trimble towards the lake? Did you guys head out that way? Did nevis have any cabins to rent? Do you know the cost. What about the 10 mile cabins?
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

the number i got was 60km away to the west in the rockies, over the divide at sikanni headwaters - akie watershed. I cant verify this, just what i heard, and who knows where they are now. We were in nevis area and yes we went all the way to trimble, redfern lake etc. The snow was a bit deeper there in the open but fairly shallow in the pine flats and slopes near besa. We were looking/hunting for solo bull or small group as the main herd or one of the main herds being so far but we didnt even cut tracks. Its possible we cut one set between besa river and trimble but couldnt verify without seeing sh*t. We hiked the north and south sides and spent good time around 10mile.

There is at least one cabin to rent at nevis a newer one that looks nice and tight (no mice/rats) but not sure about the others. The guy that was renting said it was $200/night. I dont have the contact info but one of the owners name is Erin. I didnt check out the cabin at 10 mile so i dont know the condition of it, i think there is only 1?

we stayed in a wall tent and went in with snowmobiles but there was rocky patches and ice overflows coming out after the melt. hope they got more snow or quads would be doable.

The 10 mile cabins are in rough shape right now and the mice/rats have taken over. You can rent from nevis but they are pricey at $200 per night, per person! Firewood not included! The new owners are Aron and Andrew Reimer. They have a website at redfernlake.ca

Thanks for the extra info.
    Too bad no one is seeing much. It's a fun hunt, but not easy. It's hard to justify going all the way if it's been a hard season. Was hoping it would be a good year for people with the gos.
    Also too bad that the area now holds so little game. We used to go up there lots in the fall but stopped in 2009. Was up there last summer and saw almost no game. We went one december about 15 years ago and saw 200 moose on the trip in the main valley wintering, when we stopped counting.

There were always some single bulls or small groups that would hang around some too especially near 10 mile and Trimble.

Sounds like next year will be better and hopefully more snow. Always surprised how little snow they would have in there.
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

Quote Originally Posted by hellojello74 View Post
    Thanks for the extra info.
    Too bad no one is seeing much. It's a fun hunt, but not easy. It's hard to justify going all the way if it's been a hard season. Was hoping it would be a good year for people with the gos.
    Also too bad that the area now holds so little game. We used to go up there lots in the fall but stopped in 2009. Was up there last summer and saw almost no game. We went one december about 15 years ago and saw 200 moose on the trip in the main valley wintering, when we stopped counting.

There were always some single bulls or small groups that would hang around some too especially near 10 mile and Trimble.

Sounds like next year will be better and hopefully more snow. Always surprised how little snow they would have in there.
    Have heard lots of not good stories how the area has gone down hill, and things going on up there.

The LEH season was slow up there as well this year. My brother had a tag and we spent 2 weeks without even seeing a track. Mid October. Stories of only one taken with the outfitter. (very low count). They just were not there to be found.

Good luck if you end up going.

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    The LEH season was slow up there as well this year. My brother had a tag and we spent 2 weeks without even seeing a track. Mid October. Stories of only one taken with the outfitter. (very low count). They just were not there to be found.

Good luck if you end up going.
    WOW ! that was Sh*tty ! did you see any game at All ? RJ