Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

Re: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Nothing really strange.... yet. Lots of abandoned things rusted traps hanging on trees, old metal cream cans I know some trappers used them to stash stuff on the trail. Graves, reading glasses on a log, rotten rafts and rubber boats on mountain lakes. Stone walls about 10x12 the size of a wall tent? Old weather balloons, horse shoes, a license plate 5k from the nearest road.

Not in the bush but on the side of a very active logging road, the same tool box twice the first time looked like someone unloaded a quad there so I left it thinking they come back for it. 2 years later it was still there, I gave it to someone that needed it more than me.
    Last edited by MRP; 03-26-2022 at 08:54 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

This is actually really common. Ladybugs over winter in the alpine, under rocks. People actually go up with buckets to collect them and sell them to greenhouses for pest control.(Aphids etc) Sold by the pound. Super environmentally friendly. Trick is to get them to stay long enough to eat the aphids.

A wasp that liked to land on penises and sting them... he landed on mine while I was taking a piss while glassing elk, and proceeded to sting my d**k right at the tip, it started bleeding and it throbbed the entire day and night...that wasp was a real dick..

was hunting wt and elk in koots...we d rove out of camp and the old fella was gonna drop us off a few k from camp so we could hunt our way back..as we went up a road I spotted animals and said "stop something ahead"...we quickly realized I was about 8
    or so horses mulling on both sides if the logging road in the clear-cut.. so we started to move again...then suddenly a fuzzy brown grizzly bear cub ra off the upper side of the road near 4 horses and ran to the lower side and stopped in the middle of the 4 horses that were below the road....the hoses looked up for about 1 second and went back to eating..my best guess was the orphaned cub had been adopted by the horses cuz they were within feet of each other...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    A wasp that liked to land on penises and sting them... he landed on mine while I was taking a piss while glassing elk, and proceeded to sting my d**k right at the tip, it started bleeding and it throbbed the entire day and night...that wasp was a real dick..
    Hahahahaha best thing I've read this morning

I found a pile of pig trimmings ontop of an outhouse at a forestry camp site. Was super weird. Thought at first it was human skin from far away.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

An 8x8 square hemmed in by a split rail fence on the top of a hump at the end of an overgrown logging road. Nothing but grass growing in the middle surrounded by 20ish year old second growth.

another time I was exploring some new ground, I was walking a small ridge, then down into a marshy ravine. At the head of the ravine, in the middle of the forest I found a pile of stacked rocks, I walked around to the other side of the pile and it turns out the rocks were piled over top of what looked like a metal igloo that came to about waist height.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    One day while Quading up on the top of Windy Mountain (just North of Bridge Lake) We came across a Big natural Rock pile (about 10 ft in dia ) Covered in LADY BUGS - There was thousands +++ of them ! Very Colorfull crawling all over the greystone rocks ! That's the most Strangest i have come across ! Any one Else ever seen these - this ? RJ
    At my old elementary school, every year for a couple days one wall would get absolutely covered in ladybugs. Never forgot what that looked like.

Arrow Re: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

There have been many...

An Inuit (Inuvialuit actually) Buddy and I were exploring the Richardson Mountains North & West of Aklavik, NWT.
    We wandered into a basin that was quite large, with a raised hump near the center of it which divided the stream running the valley length.
    We parked our snow machines, and went up on the hump to have a boo,
    I quickly saw signs of a very old camp, including remnants of a log structure and a few old tins.

My Partner had wandered to the side of the bluff that was a natural overlook of the valley both above & below.
    Hey! He yelled, Come up here man...
    When I got there he pointed to an ancient rifle leaning against a tree, right where a fellow might have sat to gaze across the surrounding vistas.
    My Partner was (is) rather superstitious, so asked me to pick it up and have a boo. The metal was somewhat rusted, the stock dried right out and weathered, but still largely there. It was a Winchester Model 1873.

After I had handled it my Partner suggested it potential Bad JuuJuu was gone, so I handed it over to him.
    He had it restored, and it still hangs over the fireplace at his home in the bush outside of Akalavik by 40 miles or so.

Always wondered just what the hell would make a man wander off from his rifle in that kind of setting...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Found all kinds of Strange things while rooming the wilds between Thompson Manitoba to Anchorage Alaska but what comes to mind right now is a hike up Grouse Mountain in 1972 on a almost impossible trail in July. While about halve way up stopping and quenching our Thirst, there right beside the tiny Creek lays this Airplane Jet engine. Hmmm my Buddy said in his Swiss Dialect, that Airplane must have had a bad Day.
    Once in awhile I remember and always wondering what happened to the Airplane and if the People in I survived ?

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !