Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed trailer recommendations?

Enclosed trailer recommendations?

Last year we had 4 motorcycles, a rhino, fuel and an entire hunt camp in the back of a short box duallie with an 8' trailer.

It was fun, but space was short so I promised myself that I'd upgrade this year and I'm looking for suggestions on an enclosed trailer.

I'm thinking 16-20' long, and wide enough to get bunks on either side with room to walk in the middle. I'm 6'2" so I'd like at least 6'4" interior clearance.

Everything seems to have dual axles and electric brakes so I'm looking for other recommended features:

Are wide trailers a pain to tow?
    Is there a sweet spot in terms of length for towing?
    Is the V-nose better towing or just easier to unload?
    Would you go longer than 20' and build in a cooler?
    I know a ramp back door is better, but there seem to be better deals on the barn door. Is carrying ramps that inconvenient?

We have a good wall tent so I don't expect we'd sleep in there all the time but it would certainly happen sometimes.

Your experiences and advice appreciated.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Enclosed trailer recommendations?

You need a big trailer, at least 7'x20', a v-nose gets extra room with out increased length. This gets you into two axles and probably at least 7000 lb.gvw.

We have a single axle 3500 gvw 6'x14' v-nose cargo trailer that is used to haul a bike or quad. This year we decided to "camperize" it.

Put two windows in it, a wood stove and removable bunk. Roomy enough for 2 people with a small table set up. We did not insulate as we figure the wood stove should be more than enough heat.

A well set up and balanced trailer tows just fine, make sure your tongue weight is ~8-10% of the trailer and its cargo weight.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

The bigger the better as far as size to use goes but the real crunch is storage when you are not using it. I thought long and hard about it and settled for a 16x7 V-nose by Charmac from Cummings Trailers on Fraser Hwy in Abbotsford. I went with the barn doors as the space to open the ramp door is double when you are confined in parking space and I found I can load quads without any ramps by raising the hitch as high as it goes then just driving the quad up onto the floor of the trailer, I have some ramps but have never needed them. I am still trying to finalize a plan for modding the interior similar to BCBRAD but can't decide on just what I need, too many options and my indecision is holding me up... I would like to attach a wall tent system to one entire side and the back of the trailer to have a huge enclosure with a wood stove in the tent portion to heat the entire space but have an unattached wall tent for the time being.

If anybody has any plans for adding cupboard space like in travel trailers I would love to see the details of how they did it while keeping weight down... I have a 400 watt solar/battery/inverter system for electric power going on it now and it works very well...
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I have seen a couple of setups with the trailer parked sideways behind the camper with a tarp over the gap...to use the trailer as a changing/cooking/drying/socializing in bad weather area so the camper stays clean...way easier with the double doors to use it this way

One thing to remember is that you want to be able to get utility plates not commercial or you take the chance of getting pulled over for weigh ins at the scales. Ticket was $135 bucks if I remember right and it was going through Quesnel. I have 16 x 8.5 ramp doors fold down bunks and sink counter top shelves up front 110 electrical plugs and 110 lights quad electric boxes and 12 volt led light through out. Built a tent that goes on the ramp after the unload had 4 guys in it for moose camp lots of room. Used electric heater not the answer will try diesel drip heater this year. Options are endless and I did change my plate to a utility but was a pain in the ass to do. Good luck and one of these days I will try and post some pictures.

Hunterguy profile my gallery to see pics of the Moose is Loose Lodge enclosed trailer fits 3 quads.

Quote Originally Posted by DANOSON View Post
    One thing to remember is that you want to be able to get utility plates not commercial or you take the chance of getting pulled over for weigh ins at the scales. Ticket was $135 bucks if I remember right and it was going through Quesnel. I have 16 x 8.5 ramp doors fold down bunks and sink counter top shelves up front 110 electrical plugs and 110 lights quad electric boxes and 12 volt led light through out. Built a tent that goes on the ramp after the unload had 4 guys in it for moose camp lots of room. Used electric heater not the answer will try diesel drip heater this year. Options are endless and I did change my plate to a utility but was a pain in the ass to do. Good luck and one of these days I will try and post some pictures.
    Thanks. If you are looking for a diesel heater, look for the US military surplus one. They sell them on ebay for a fraction the price of the stuff that Cabelas or the other 'outfitters' sell them and they work really, really well.

I can't recall the number/model but if you don't turn it up on a quick search send me a PM and I'll get the details off mine.

I have a 8.5 x20. I had a 7 x14 but it was too small. I looked at getting a 7 x 20, but apparently, they only go to 16 feet in length with the 7 foot width.. You will need to go to am 8 foot wide by 20 foot then or 8 by 18 something like that. I would highly recommend an equalizer tow bar.
    I ended up with commercial plates and it hasn't been a problem for me. But maybe it will? They haven't bothered me so far.

Got stopped first trip with the lodge at weigh scales to hope. Commercial plate, payed a fine and than went to an insurance company showed them the bunks and got the r.v. plate no problem now trailer has a 10,000 gvw.

I don't understand the difference between a commercial and utility plate. Why did you pay a fine?