Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

Question 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

Hey HBC,

I got invited for the 2nd year to go Elk hunting in region 4 this September and I am wondering which week would most likely be most productive. The conventional choice would be to be out there on opening day, but thanks to the Corey Jacobsen article: https://www.elk101.com/2019/01/which...g-elk-in-2019/ it appears the first week rifle season leading up to a full moon.

Last year I was up on opening day for a week and only had one bugle and never saw any bull elk - but it was hot and smokey.

So I am wondering what the seasoned elk hunters would do? Less pressure but worse moon phase or wait a couple of weeks until the new moon at the end of the month?

Thank you.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

I personally see more bull activity the 3rd week of Sept and then again in mid-October.
    YMMV

Whatever week you go, make sure you challenge every bull. Make them see red
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Which part of region 4? Almost no fires and lots of rain this summer. Could be a good yr for antler growth but elk numbers are still way down so expect to put in some miles, lots of calling and glassing.

i always smile when i hear about people planning holidays around what a moon is doing hehe.. What if its cloudy at night time- does that mean the moon is non existant? lol

Go, enjoy, put in effort repeat on the effort. Any week or day is as good as the next one in September.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Go, enjoy, put in effort repeat on the effort. Any week or day is as good as the next one in September.
    not true, you'll have a higher chance of success in the first half of September before the cows come into estrous. Once they do, the odds of pulling a bull away from them will much less.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    not true, you'll have a higher chance of success in the first half of September before the cows come into estrous. Once they do, the odds of pulling a bull away from them will much less.
    You're talking about herd bulls. The satellite bulls that are trying to get in on the action will come in.

Quote Originally Posted by ianwuzhere View Post
    i always smile when i hear about people planning holidays around what a moon is doing hehe.. What if its cloudy at night time- does that mean the moon is non existant? lol
    Obviously it means the moon is gone!! If you can't see it, it isn't there...
    I find fishing is always more screwed up by the moon than hunting. If the bulls are not rutting full time, they still gotta eat, drink and sleep. If the bulls are rutting and attached to cows, the cows still have to eat, drink and sleep.

If you could only get it on once a year would the moon have any effect on you?