Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crayfish

Re: Crayfish

Guys, please share a couple spots where it would be easy to try to catch a couple dozen of crayfish around Lower Mainland... If I can get it for my wife (she is from Europe) I could probably buy another rifle... Thank you. PM works too.

Quote Originally Posted by ohotnik View Post
    Guys, please share a couple spots where it would be easy to try to catch a couple dozen of crayfish around Lower Mainland... If I can get it for my wife (she is from Europe) I could probably buy another rifle... Thank you. PM works too.
    for crayfish try around Mission, Silverdale, Deroche, Dewdny Slough and any of the drainage canals around that area, also good areas for bow fishing for CARP in the spring when waters are high, PS crayfish like chicken livers or any thing gives off blood scent for long periods of time, just old info from afar lol

sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    for crayfish try around Mission, Silverdale, Deroche, Dewdny Slough and any of the drainage canals around that area, also good areas for bow fishing for CARP in the spring when waters are high, PS crayfish like chicken livers or any thing gives off blood scent for long periods of time, just old info from afar lol

Thank you, Doug!

I used to catch them on the island when I wsa a kid ! I never realized how common they were !

Bruce
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm all over this one!! I used to catch them with corn as a kid in Richmond off the fish docks. Big and tasty. Now I've got the boat, I'll be needing some traps!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

We used to put on our scuba gear and go down in the lakes and get them. At the right time of year they can be really quite tasty.

Crayfish are easier to catch when the water is warmer, such as Spring, Summer, and Fall. I haven't had luck trying to catch them in the Winter. Just a tip so that you guys don't get frustrated. I wouldn't waste my time until April/May. Just my observations, it may be different for other areas.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Crayfish-----Seems to be an under-utilized species??

Personally, I have never fished for them other than catching as few on the Kettle with our hands and letting them go.

A co-worker was asking me about them as he used to catch them as a kid back in Poland many years ago. He was just looking on the internet and now they are considered an endangered species back in his homeland.

So who fishes for them and what are some of the techniques?? One guy told me that all they used was a wiener on a stick.....but have never tried this myself.
    Seems like they would be a fun target for kids.

SSS
    got 'em in idabel/mccolugh area and caught one in the Kettle a couple years ago.

Used it for bait on a treble hook.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

One late spring/early summer we were catching them at Jones Lk when the water was low. We didn't have kids of our own then but our friend's kids were having a great time. They just flipped over rocks and grabbed them and threw them into a bucket. They let them all go at the end of the day because nobody knew what to do with them.
    I've also seen them at Little Qualicum Falls on the island in the pools of water. I was catching them in my shoe when I was a kid Good fun!
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)

I spent a summer/fall in Colorado and was fishing a lake with my belly boat and couldn't keep them off my line...I was trying to catch rainbows and browns but kept hooking onto cray fish....I was trolling flies with sinking line...didn't know you could catch them that way.