Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking fly fishing knowledge

Re: Seeking fly fishing knowledge

https://www.themeateater.com/authors/aprilvokey/fly <---- in terms of buying gear.

I recommend not being cheap on the rod and line. The reel just holds line. You don't have to go out and get a $500 sage, but don't go getting a superfly pre-rigged combo. They'll both catch fish, but they wont cast the same. There are however some decent combos out there.

You are out of my Skill set with Lakes.... I rarely fish them.... BUT!

if you primarily fish lakes buy a lake rod. They are longer and built a bit different. I cant explain......
    I am onside with the 6# for beginners rod weight. It does everything, and after "YOU" get hooked it is a useable weight even after you get a few more rods..
    Trolling flies is a "if you think you are going slow enough,,, then slow down" kinda thing.... Speed kills...
    I am not a Chrony guy.... cant help....

get a quality long handle releasing net... they are cheap, but way nicer for the fish..
    depth sounders are a must.... as well as depth charts of the lakes you fish...
    anyway...... That's all I got!

For the lakes around Merrit I'd try to chum up with some of the guys out there. Most fish chironomids under indicators (glorified bobber fishing). Lots of attention to fine details can be huge in that game. Lots of youtube stuff on that, possibly filmed on the lakes you know.

I have some moderately expensive rods, but must say I get a lot of pleasure with some less expensive (<$200) rods. I sure like Redingtons Classic trout for a newby rod. Line prices have gone nuts!

OddSix, you're entering a life long addiction. To fish stillwaters I use a 12ft. Lund Jon boat but my favorite method is with my 6ft. pontoon boat with a stainless steel frame ( OK for saltwater). I don't use anything less than a 6wt. rod, for me the tug is the drug. Once a fish is hooked I just want to get it in and released as quick as possible, over stressing a fish in warming waters is fatal to fish. I know guys that use as lite as 3wt rods, I think they kill alot of fish from over stressing them. I just love fishing around 100 mile, you can fish a different quality lake every day of the week for a month and still have lots of lakes left to fish the next month.

Was out earlier this week.
    Been in the outdoor game for many years.....catching big trout never gets old.
    Just like hunting, focus on the knowledge and field time and less on obsessing about gear.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I see you brought the electric motor this time Ourea
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

This explosion of fly fishing gear that is available, however, has a dark side. For anglers new to the sport, the sheer assortment of gear available, the fancy terminology that is frequently used and the often steep prices anglers have to pay for good gear has all conspired to make selecting the right fly fishing gear for your needs a rather difficult one. A fly reel does more than just hold line. True, it's not the most important piece of equipment you have. But it's not trivial, either.

Quote Originally Posted by oddsix View Post
    Appreciate the lengthy responses guys.

I currently live in Chilliwack but spend quite a bit of time around Merritt, Kamloops and Highway 24.

The majority of my fishing will be smaller lakes (max depth of 30-40' kinda thing) with the occasional visit to rivers that are home to 10"-14" trout. The only larger lake i'd be fishing a few times a year will be Sheridan as the fam has a cabin there. (Only have the trolling game figured out on Sheridan, have yet to try fly fishing it) perhaps this info will prove helpful for your response.

What about water temp and oxygen levels? How do you decide how deep to fish? Also, if trolling, how do you determine your speed? All trial and error?
    Loaded question.
    Firstly, it can be an expensive sport if you are not careful or depending how interested you get "into it".
    Most folks don't need expensive rods.
    For lakes, a 5 or 6 weight fly rods will suite you well all over the province.
    Doing the line weight 1 over is not worth doing anymore, imo. (wish I hadn't).

Same goes for fly tying.
    If I look at all my materials etc, it would have been cheaper to go and buy them already tied (just wanted to do my own versions).

Water Temperature but even more important is "oxygen levels".
    Few weeks ago I was up in Merritt, and algae blooms on many lkakes.
    I find the fish are very close to the shore at that times (in oceans when that happens they get starved of oxygen so fich move to shallower waters where there is usually more oxygen)
    Other times temperature plays a role but remember most aquatic life that fish feed on are anywhere from a foot to 30 feet.

More important is figuring out:
    What the fish are feeding on, so matching the hatch as they say.
    And what find even more important is fishing at the right depth and the right way, more so than matching the fly.

You can have the right fly but fish it wrong and you have nothing happening.
    Hit the right zone the right way and fish will go after several diifernt flies or colors at times.

Look up Brian Chan or Phil Rowley.
    Chan was a freshwater bio and avid fly fisher.
    Sportsfishing on the fly does well to.
    Flyguys.net has some great BC patterns.

But any books on Chan or videos is a great place to start if you have no experienced people around to guide you.
    Some folks out on the lake are great and share info while other clowns think it has to be "top secret"!
    (as if they are going to catch every fish out in the lake!??????)

Sharing info is more fun for everyone.
    One thing however, don't ever sit on top of another guy who is having success....move away. (give a little space)
    Nothing will stop someone more from sharing then when people do that!

You might want to pick up Mark Hume’s recently released book, “Trout School”. I am reading it and enjoying it very much. Something for every skill level in there.

If you want to have fun, keep it simple. If you want frustration, follow the aforementioned advice. And that's 55 years of fly fishing experience speaking.
    Srupp says, "Only had 2 flies for lakes size 12 ruby headed weighted leech, shrimp green size #10." To which I would add Muddler Minnow in 8, 10 or 12 in green or brown.
    And if you are not having fun, go home.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"