Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamloops mule deer

Re: Kamloops mule deer

^^^We already know...just look how quickly the cariboo responded to the recent wolf culls.....now implement in other regions on larger scale and add in cats as well.
    Last edited by northof49; 10-31-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Only 15% of deer mortality is attributed to hunting so whether we hunt or not makes virtualy no diferene to the deer population.My 16 year old granddaughter who shot her first deer which was a spike had been practicing, shooting 22’s and moving up to my 6.5 swede ,shooting that until she was proficient enough to shoot at a live animal.When we saw the spike,which was about 125 yards away,facing head on, we passed her the rifle and told her sit down,pretend she was shooting targets and take her shot when she was ready...she missed the first shot,said a very unladylike like ‘damn’ ,reloaded and fired again,the buck was hit dead center right in the brisket and dropped in its tracks.She ran all the way uphill yelling ‘YES’! and fist pumping,held up the buck whipped out her smart phone and took a selfie and sent by to all her very closest 425 friends.I think we were just as thrilled as she was to see a young lady kill her first deer...she insisted on helping with gutting and hanging it...of course,we could have told her not to shoot because it was a spike...when we got back I bought her a pink hunting knife and told her she had to use her own knife after this...( I don’t shoot spikes anymore ,shot my share of deer and am quite happy to just be out with my kids and seeing game,and occaisionaly taking a nice fork if it uphill( downhill,I just look at them)
    Sorry about these strange times when you have to justify shooting a buck..it is ridiculous. Past traditions and current science defends this. Young buck is almost always better table fare as well. You are justifiably proud.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yes, some areas come Remembrance day weekend is a hell of a lot more busy.
    Just depends where and how close those spots are to other areas that are closed down on that weekend.

And yes, one big thing is seeing wolf sign where I never ever seen them during "all the years I hunted in some areas".

Yes, many big bucks in the record books from many moons ago, but, there are still some big bucks taken every year.
    But many folks no longer put them in the books or even want to tell anyone.

So yes, the new reg limit should help, but yes, we might just be offering more feed for the preds?
    I suppose that is possible.
    Only way to know is to get a cull on preds going.
    If not, I don't know if we will ever know what will work as far as management in the future.
    If you truly want a big deer...quit hunting popular and traditional areas..and when your hunting dont tip over the first 4 point you see...stick too your guns. Live up to what you claim...otherwise you may as well like the rest of us shoot the first legal buck that opportunity presents and enjoy the steaks.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    If you truly want a big deer...quit hunting popular and traditional areas..and when your hunting dont tip over the first 4 point you see...stick too your guns. Live up to what you claim...otherwise you may as well like the rest of us shoot the first legal buck that opportunity presents and enjoy the steaks.
    ?????????????????????????????WTF

Think you need to go back a few pages and see how I operate!!!
    I don't tag out on MD very often at all!!!
    I have plenty of chances to take "legal 4 pts" every season (maybe once in the last 20 years I couldn't)….
    BUT, I always pass on them!!

Not a huge MD meat fan anyways, and only so much pepperoni I am willing to eat!
    So, I do look for the bigger bucks, always passing up on the average bucks.

I just said I do not begrudge folks who take small bucks, because the main reason we hunt is for the meat.
    My problem if I can find a huge boned buck, and I blame no one else because they think and hunt differently!
    Now, a 3pt bull elk, if legal, I would drop, because I really like the meat..

So, everyone has there own standards, and we need to accept each others choices.
    Especially if they are legal.

(I do wish folks would take the time to read the full posts)

This debate of MD is continuous it seems.
    Basically there are 2 opinions.
    The question has always been, are we growing deer for "opportunity hunts" or for "trophy hunts"?

Right now, having an any buck season til end of Oct is obviously for Opportunity.
    Cant blame each other if the Ministry does a piss poor job of Pred Control and Forestry Management etc that goes against having a better MD
    population.

If we hunt for Trophy, well then, expect a shit load of hunters come Nov 1st (on top of a Region being shut down for 10 days), all in the same
    areas, all at once!
    (atleast right now, with the new changes, some hunters are already done, and I am expecting my area to be a little less busy come next week
    because of that fact)

On top of that, as an example, many GO's were all really happy when they got to see the 6pt rule implemented in the EK, so that their
    customers would now have better opportunity to trophy classed bulls (like 350 class bulls...lol...and that was 1st hand conversation with them)

All that happened is everyone targeted the 6pt bulls now, and I can tell you that many of the GO's up there are now crying the blues.
    Cant even find legal 6pts, let alone a "trophy class bull"!

So lots of opinions on here about "how and what we should be hunting".
    Lots of "theory" going on here that does seem "rational" etc.
    But, the evidence suggests the opposite. (my example above)

Many other things need to change before we consider another "hunter regulated change".

And, by the way, I have seen a couple of monster MD (like something you would have seen taken in the late 1800's) taken in the past few years.
    And, they were taken in areas that are not remote, but rather well known by the experienced MD hunter.
    Just taken a little off the normal beat and path...but not by much!

Nocturnal, and Preds are something to really keep in mind here.

I find this topic interesting based on the fact that the carrying capacity in a region/area is the most important factor in survival of ungulates. So whether we harvest any buck or older bucks the area can only sustain so many deer. One of the many problems that is concern to me is the buck to doe ratio. In our province it is so low compared to other parts of the the mule deer world. In order to create more trophy class deer you need more bucks and our province doesn't even come close to the great mule deer states. In order to better build a stronger deer ratio we as hunter may have to make choices on the type of bucks we wish to see in the forest and how often we harvest them. Changing over to a more aggesive harvest of Whitetail deer would allow a higher Mule deer winter survival to the detriment of the Whitetail. I am starting to ramble sorry and good and safe hunting this season

^^^^the MOE objective is 20 bucks:100 does - with the change to only 1 MD buck allowed per licence between regions 3 - 8, we should see the buck to doe ratio increase, with many hunters holding out for bigger bucks..

At 20 bucks to 100 does that is still lower than the great mule states. I am not saying that is a bad number if that is what the MOE determines is the right ratio for the carrying capacity, but why have other managment area tried to get higher numbers of bucks? Quality muley bucks means more hunter dollars.

My X's father was 4th gen out of Lumby.
    And there are big bucks in the record book of BC at the time that came from there, both MD and WT and that family has several of them in the
    books.
    3 things factored into that, according to him.
    The seasons were later (that's a big one)
    The next was, there was a hell of a lot more snow at that point, so factor that in with a later season, and you have a lot more deer in a
    concentrated area.
    Last point, they were taken on private farmland that only they could hunt!

I am going into an area that I know has had big bucks for many years, but now, there is as of yet, no snow.
    30 years ago, there would be a minimum of 12" down low and up top would be 3 ft.
    Don't think the new era tends to lead to finding big bucks in small areas any more.
    They are scattered everywhere still.

On top of that, I know of several bucks that should be up in the books, way up there in the MD category, but the hunters refuse to have them
    entered.

Is it like it once was.....probably not, but that's most likely due to all the development over the past 50 years, plus previously mentioned factors.
    Gang Ranch does not sound like the area it once used to be, and I doubt there are as many folks hunting it today then at the high point in
    the 70's.
    And also like has been said in the past, the white elephant in the room is also ranching, and ranchers not wanting competition.

People who have the time and dedication to get out lots, and hit new areas, do find better big buck opportunities.
    And yes, if you want a big buck, you can no longer tag out on the 1st buck you see.
    Good chance you will eat tag soup, but at least you give yourself a chance.
    Just remember, you cant eat the antlers, and is why many don't care if BC is a trophy province.

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    At 20 bucks to 100 does that is still lower than the great mule states. I am not saying that is a bad number if that is what the MOE determines is the right ratio for the carrying capacity, but why have other managment area tried to get higher numbers of bucks? Quality muley bucks means more hunter dollars.
    Hard to say, but apparently they are finding most if not all does in most areas that have been studied pregnant... which is hard to believe with the amount of does you see vs bucks but this is what I have been told..