Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

Re: Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

The flight control will pattern well out to 50 no problem. Only problem is your sighting device. A front bead is not that consistent. I have iron sights on my 12 gauge and that keeps you aiming the same way every time. I have only an improved cylinder and it is good to 50 yrds. Make sure the pattern goes where you are aiming first of all. my other defender shotgun shoots regular ammo straight but shoots the flight control high and left . Practice to be sure .

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I've killed a couple BTs with buckshot. I'd recommend keeping within 30 yards.
    Do you have sights on your shotgun or just a bead ? With sights and flight control ammo you will be able to shoot much farther.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I've killed a couple BTs with buckshot. I'd recommend keeping within 30 yards.
    This is very good advice.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

I've killed many with buckshot,,30-35 yards and move in quick
    BCWF
    WSSOBC-Life Member

I’ve taken deer with buckshot but would not exceed 30 yards . It might work beyond that range but it’s too big a risk of losing an animal. I knew an old guy on Saltspring who refused to let anybody hunt on his farm with buckshot,legal requirement or not,he had found too many unrecovered dead deer.He used an old 25-35 and was deadly accurate.But show up with a 30/30, only shoot two points or better, make a clean one shot kill ,do a good job dressing it and you were welcome back...his land,his rules.
    Dixie had a Tri Ball load that was very effective,but whether that is legal in BC or not is not is not in own to me

Pattern the gun and practice at many different ranges. Different types of flight control pattern differently, different barrels, different guns and chokes pattern differently.

I’ve found 5 yards can mean the difference between 7 hits and 2. 30 yards you’re golden, 35/40/45 you start yo really push it.

Boiler room or where the head meets the neck.

Also be mindful of the regs AND municipal bylaws. Some of those islands are archery only, some are no hunting at all. Some are buckshot.

Not a lot of public land to hunt on,you got to know somebody or get permission .
    Islanders tend to be funny about people they find trespassing...

I have taken 5 deer using buck shot (12ga, 3" 00, Flight Control). My recommendations are:
    - Use magnum loads. Those 3 additional pellets can make a difference.
    - I patterned up to 40 yards. Everything beyond that is way too risky for me to just wound the deer. I crossed paths with a big buck once. I could close the distance to about 45 yards. Couldn't get closer so I didn't take the shot and passed up. For my peace of mind I patterned the exact same distance at the shooting range later just to confirm I did the right thing. 5 yards can make a difference between a safe kill and just wounded.
    - Flight Control is not meant to be shot using full choke. You should consider cylinder or improved. Please do patterning using different chokes!

Have a look at Winchester "Defender" Ammunition. It is a 1 oz slug AND 3 buckshot pellets. I'm not sure if it's legal as I haven't read the regulations in a while.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009