Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    Your comment irritated me enough that I sound like BgBlkDg in that last post.. I apologize to you all in advance!
    Lol. No offense taken here.

Sounds like I run the same type of camp/food as you when I'm on my goat hunts from a backpack.

Hmm lots of examples of tents destroyed ..yes even by outfitters...

You may have escaped so far..free to do as you want..but question bringing a client into that situation..a siltarp away from the tent..under a tree..but have to disagree on any food stuffs in your sleeping tent.
    The brand new wall tent when Terry ran the Kwatna bay guiding..first full morning tent ripped apart by grizzly..all for a single chocolat bar under clients pillow.
    This is your choice not a recomendation..
    Cheers
    Steven

Well if the great srupp says so I better listen.
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

Well, I certainly listen to what Steven has to say about bears and most aspects of bush life, but, each to his own. He spent time with one of the most legendary Grizzly experts in 20thC. BC, Clayton Mack, and I think his advice is spot on.

Like Yoda!
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    Also depends where you are...we were on bull river when the griz kept coming back....there is a problem bear there....it needs to be dead....
    Last year was the first time in about 7 years we didn't have any bears in Camp up the Bull, we've had some really persistent bears in that area in the past.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Yep, lots of them in the Kootenays, far more than when I worked there for the BCFS. I have seen more Grizzlies and in places where one NEVER saw them back in the day, in the past 10-12 years than in the 20-30 years prior to that.

A large "momma" and two fat yearlings slowly strolled down a road off the "Skyway" last October and were in NO hurry to leave THEIR territory......I was in no great hurry to get out of the Taco, either!

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    Well if the great srupp says so I better listen.
    Hmmm no you obviously have your own ideas..however I never claimed to be the great anything...I merely suggested on behalf of those with far less experience..or any bear..grizzly experience that it is never wise to consume or store anything with food scent in your tent..hoping some newbie doesnt take your run of luck as the Gospel...actually never heard anyone having passed this method on as advisable..yet it probably is done.been in a fair amount of hunting camps..never seen the practice employed...and been personally taught what I merely pass along .because you got away with it..so far..doesnt make me great anything..just prudent...

Far too many accounts of folks not getting away with even the smallest of morsels in their tent...what you do is for you..dont recomend dragging an unknowing client into the mix..gambling with their lives..thought back carefully..some good..some great bear experts disagree with food or cooking in sleeping tent..I will stick with Betty..Clayton..thats merely 100 years living guiding hunting amongst bears...sorry we have to disagree .
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I was taking your advice, changing my ways!
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

Hmm when I post or pass on advice on grizzlies I am always aware of just how fast things..bad things can happen I would feel horribly responsible for any advice. .
    This spring a new grizzly hunter and partner asked some advice..I believe sane experienced was shared...yet they were charged by a boar who unknown to the hunters just had his bear ass kicked by yet a bigger grizz..being careful to answer all questions with safety in mind..it still took a readiness. .a cool head..and a competent shot by Mr.M....
    All in all 3 grizzly hunters this year were charged by grizzlies in region 5..15 alone..inordinately high numbers but shyte happens...

Advice on any public website aimed to help and protect ...always err on the side of caution and safety...
    Steven