Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

Re: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

This study is no different than countless others UNLESS this study’s data is acted upon . If it’s not acted on then it is more dollars burned for sweet f all . Hopefully there are actionable dollars lined up to act upon the findings from this project . Thus far in bc ‘s history that has not been the case . Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    So, what magic wand do you wave?

What can "they" do (as hunters always blame game management for mismanaging)?

Can game managers change forest practices?
    Can game managers rip out roads?
    Can game managers change FN self proclaimed entitlement to year round wildlife extraction?
    Can game managers stop municipalities from allowing development in sensitive winter range?
    Can game managers make Gov invest in all things that will help wildlife recover?
    Can game managers make money fall from the sky so they actually have a budget to do something (because currently they have sweet F*** all)?
    Can game managers sway public opinion to kill off a significant number of predators in certain areas (let alone have one red cent to pay for it)
    Can game managers make the general public demand that wildlife gets significant attention and resources dedicated to put things on a track for recovery, sustainable and long term recovery?

All I see, for the most part, is people on this site pointing fingers and blaming "wildlife management" with most having never talked to a game bio, a political official, FN leaders, folks in resource extraction, to have an accurate understanding and knowledge of how complex the task is and what all the working parts are that need to come into sync.
    Easy, convince every taxpayer and activist that it is important to MAKE MORE WILDLIFE, who in turn convince Gov't, then set target numbers and work towards them.
    Until there is a need to make more, things will trundle along as they are, Super Natural
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    This study is no different than countless others UNLESS this study’s data is acted upon . If it’s not acted on then it is more dollars burned for sweet f all . Hopefully there are actionable dollars lined up to act upon the findings from this project . Thus far in bc ‘s history that has not been the case . Fingers crossed
    This study is a far cry from your average rinse and repeat merry go round.
    A person would ask what will they do with the data, why go thru the trouble because "it's just another study"?
    The key is that this MD project will/should produce concrete evidence of where and why MD are declining versus just another theory.

That hard data can carry a lot of weight when trying to influence Gov and industry on policy that will limit the negative effects on MD.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Easy, convince every taxpayer and activist that it is important to MAKE MORE WILDLIFE, who in turn convince Gov't, then set target numbers and work towards them.
    Until there is a need to make more, things will trundle along as they are, Super Natural
    Appreciate the positivity

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

They killed eagles for Marmots...killing Barred Owls for spotted. There is always hope.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

This study is a far cry from your average rinse and repeat merry go round.
    A person would ask what will they do with the data, why go thru the trouble because "it's just another study"?
    The key is that this MD project will/should produce concrete evidence of where and why MD are declining versus just another theory.

That hard data can carry a lot of weight when trying to influence Gov and industry on policy that will limit the negative effects on MD.
    sorry. Same type of study’s have Be done on multiple other species , sheep and caribou in particular as well as the moose study that was pretty much identical to the current mule deer study ,look at the region six sheep study that is ongoing on their summer to winter grounds movement and reasons for population losses during that time . Not taking away from the muledeer study ,but it is at this moment nothing out of the ordinary. I hope the data is acted upon as I do with the other wildlife studies currently going on in the province

what makes you think this one will be acted upon, hard data has been provided by bios for years to no effect, if there is a change coming that would be fantastic!

If this study will bring out the facts no matter if the public will support it or not it is needed. As long as this study sticks to the facts and recommends the best approach to tackle the issues instead of round about try not to offend management its 100% worth it

As for the public support issue this is an example why hunters need to get active. You don’t want your issues ignored make them heard get involved creating education programs and help execute them. Money wise put in effort into developing fundraising programs. You may not bring in millions but people are more willing to open their wallets when they see effort

Or you can say it won’t work, the public won’t support it, and there is no $. Pretty clear if you want sh!t to change in BC you need to get up and make it change.

Appreciate the positivity
    Just saying, to make a case for making more the need has to be proven

To argue for more ungulates singularly is rather selfish. There are problems in BC for all wildlife to some extent, resource extraction activities and development pressures reach all levels.
    Someone mentioned the view from 30,000' ) .
    If we want changes to the lumber farming practices, we better be looking beyond deer or moose, and joining hands with other special intetest groups

.........The key is that this MD project will/should produce concrete evidence of where and why MD are declining versus just another theory.......
    for the particular footprint of the study, that is important. To take info from another province or state and try to overlay it on S I BC wouldn't have the same impact as a localized diagnostic

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Waste of gas??? maybe if your after boone cats, but there is no shortage of cats! several houndsman ive spoke to agree, stats show they doing very well. I see tracks all the time. I bagged a lion this year in 1 day of hunting as my houndsman buddy assured would happen.
    so when you shot that female ,you also killed its kittens. that's why we go after the toms.. you like big muley bucks and I like big toms..
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!