Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for land in elk country

Re: Looking for land in elk country

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Living off grid year round homestead.
    HMM I CAN GIVE YOU A LOT OF FREE ADVICE ON THIS.

Maybe i should start a new thread to offgrid living.
    a couple important things.
    1.Good water source both qaulity and quantity.
    2.Sun exposure on property.
    3.timber for fire wood and projects.
    4.produce and meat growing capabilitts
    5.Fire danger and options to mitigate.
    6.neighbour hood is a gold mine or gravel pit going to open next door.
    7.Travel distance for hospitals,hardware stores,fuel,bullets.ect.
    8.durability of wife and yourself its a lot of work..
    one beautiful log house by mine has sold 1 a year every year..as husband and wife fight..then divorce.
    That said that house was in the shadow of the mountain shitty water and bouldery cliff lol.

If you can camp on the property before you close to get a feel for it we did this for my dads acreage and mine..
    My family loves mountain life to the extend Feb 4th we are closing on a bigger acreage yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdieselpa View Post
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...sked-questions
    Too much misinformation put out there. Do your research it only takes a few minutes. There are also information bulletins that spell it all out by topic.
    I may have to eat my words on this as it states clearly that you can not build a cabin.
    But I have known two guys who have cabins on their gold claims and they would spend 8 months of the year living there and working the claim. But one of them i am sure had a house in the city.
    There are plenty of cabins on mining claims,I'm sure.
    It says you can't build a cabin without permission, which also means that a permission can be had.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...ers-1.23327443

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...mation-closure

Scroll down the link and click on the bond calculator. First question they ask for the small guys is can you haul in a trailer and normally has to be removed at the end if the season. Unfortunately the draft dodgers of the 1960's ruined the old time mining laws. There is even a prohibition for having a garden on a claim. Its far cheaper and less restrictions to just buy fee simple land.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdieselpa View Post
    https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...ers-1.23327443

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...mation-closure

Scroll down the link and click on the bond calculator. First question they ask for the small guys is can you haul in a trailer and normally has to be removed at the end if the season. Unfortunately the draft dodgers of the 1960's ruined the old time mining laws. There is even a prohibition for having a garden on a claim. Its far cheaper and less restrictions to just buy fee simple land.

Looks like a lot of changes in the last decade. Government has put in a bunch of new obstacles for the little guy to explore.
    More than a few years back I was interested in gold mining/panning and had a couple of friends, one of them geologist who could find gold, to set up a venture.
    But the guy with knowledge to find the gold moved to Asia and the whole thing fell apart.
    These reclamation bonds are nonsense for small operations. Diggin up dirt causes no problems to anyone.
    But I don't expect government to do something right.
    We're ****ed
    Last edited by adriaticum; 01-28-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    We're ****ed
    True on so many levels!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

If east Kootenays is too expensive for you, try around Grand Forks - a few off grids sell each year for bargain basement pricing. But there are no elk. And all the deer are in town.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    If east Kootenays is too expensive for you, try around Grand Forks - a few off grids sell each year for bargain basement pricing. But there are no elk. And all the deer are in town.
    Yup no elk here, CO says population of 254 Deer living in town with a 19 year life expectancy so don't do what all the city folks who move here and line your yard with cedar hedges lol. Bargain basement just about all gone out here, everything no matter where seems to advertise River View hah!
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm