Thread: Cellular game cams

Cellular game cams

I'd like to put one up at the cabin so I can see weather conditions mostly but pick up anything else that might be wandering around. Any brand/model you recommend? The driveway in is long and steep so I'd like something that will run a fair amount of time through the winter so I can see if it's possible to drive in or if there's too much snow. We do have electricity so worst case scenario I might be able to plug it in but I'd rather not.

Can you set them to take a picture at a specific time or do they all need to be motion activated?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cellular game cams

I would also like to know this.

RidgeTec. I have 3 and they work great. You can ask them for photos and they will send on the heartbeat, which you can manipulate. Good battery life and I believe there are solar panel options.

If you have power, get a security camera then you can check it anytime you want. I have tried exactly what your thinking of, I was using the spypoint. And it didn’t work.
    First I’ll tell you what it is supposed to do, so it is motion detected and takes really good photos. I wanted one for my driveway, when we would go to work and come home, a lot of times there would be tire tracks in the driveway. It would be nice to know what’s been going on. So I set it up, well all I got was my dogs and birds and things like that. Not once did it take a picture of my own, or anyone else’s vehicle. I tried all the settings and updates. It never worked. My driveway isn’t that long but the vehicle had to be in front of the camera for about 40 meters coming straight at it, I would have thought that would have worked.
    So you can set it to take random pics, you can pick a time, for example 6am, it will snap a photo, then you can set it to take 1,2,4,or 6 photos per day, so which ever one you pick you would get a snapshot photo at set time. If you pick 6am and twice a day then you get a photo at 6am and 6pm, if you pick 6 times a day then you get one every 4 hrs.
    The cold does kill the battery, I bought the rechargeable battery and the solar panel and it still needs help once in a while. It does better than the AA battery but won’t last continuous when it’s cold.

Some of those you have to buy a membership to use. Buy carefully.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

If you have wifi at your cabin then you can use blink cameras. I use them at mine and you can check anytime and you have two way communication. It’s great for scaring the nosy neighbours when they peek in your windows to see your renovations.

Looks like cheaper plans are around $10/month. We don’t have wifi, just power.

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    If you have wifi at your cabin then you can use blink cameras. I use them at mine and you can check anytime and you have two way communication. It’s great for scaring the nosy neighbours when they peek in your windows to see your renovations.
    Can you tell me more about those? So if I have wifi at the camera's location and at my Iphone location (same jobsite) can the camera send a pic to my phone instantly?