Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting a hate on

getting a hate on

I am starting to get a hate on for tikka`s . I have 2 black tikka`s but can`t keep rust off them I take good care of my rifle but these dam pieces of crap are really pissing me off . Me and the grandson had a wet weekend his xs7 marlin was outside in the rain. my anshutz 22 got wet shooting bunnies. ....BUT THE ONLY ONE THAT GOT ANY RUST ON IT WAS THE TIKKA THAT NEVER GOT WET. I use grease on the barrels but 4 inchs on the end of the barrels rust .

I lived and hunted on the island for many years and never got any rust on any firearm.
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

2. Site Sponsor

Re: getting a hate on

Are they blued or the matt black finish (not sure if Tikka has this type or not)? My Rem 700 with the matt black finish barrel was way worse for rusting than any blued barrels.

Thats a shame.
    All the new metals are cheaper, even stainless.
    Like manufacturers can't get good raw material or something.

When I sold/traded my old blued M77, I took off my Bell/Carlson stock expecting a few rust specs where metal touched stock. Nothing.
    I Cleaned and oiled that gun regularly but don't think I pulled stock off more than a couple times to clean.
    So off it went with wood stock looking all brand new, clean shiny bore.
    Think it sold on here for barely $400 after I traded it.

We keep a Tika around camp ..... it's quite handy. Makes a great handle for a vehicle jack, and prying the tent pegs out. Over-rated ......

I noticed a few small rust spots on my Browning X Bolt (matt finish) after a about a year. Always kept it oiled.
    Sold it and bought a Tikka Stainless.

Yeah my browning x bolt stainless stalker has some spots starting on it especially on the bolt. She gets a liberal coat of rem oil now on the regular. I don't know if its cheaper steel they use or the machine shop isn't careful enough to separate the regular carbon metal equipment with the stainless leading to imbedded contamination...

sounds weird, never had a problem with my tikkas

Most of the newer production sporters are crap, as most consumers want low prices. You can have *cheap* or *good*, but, not both at once.

I have well-used rifles from the 1930s to the 1960s and they ALL work very well in extreme conditions. My more costly pieces from the 1990s and the past couple of years are lighter, but, really no better in terms of function, including rust resistance.

This, is why knowledgable gun users are willing to pay more for so-called (by morons) *old rifles*.

Could just get everything coated. Cerakote or gunkote or whatever...

Define "take good care of my rifle" .
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach