Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sheep caliber

Re: Sheep caliber

Quote Originally Posted by Cat catcher View Post
    What is everyone preferred sheep caliber? I was think of a 25-06, any recommendations?
    Based on the '1000 foot pounds of energy at impact distance recommendation for deer-sized game', the 25-06 with a 110 gr Accubond, should be effective out to 600 yards. That's a pretty far shot for the AVERAGE hunter, so you should consider it a good choice. Of course though, the shot has to be right in the boiler room for this to be true. And, if a less aerodynamic bullet is chosen, that recommended maximum range will diminish.

Personally, for my PREFERRED caliber, I would go UP a bit for added assurance. I'd feel more comfortable with a 270Win, 280 Rem, 280 AI, 7mm WSM, 7mm RM, 300 WSM, 300WM, etc.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

The little sheep hunting I have done, mostly in conjunction with hunts for other game, I just carried whatever I was using at the time and these were a P-64 Mod. 70 full custom .280Rem., my first rifle with a synthetic stock, built in 1985, and my beloved first original P-64 Alaskan, .338WM, in a synthetic.

For a dedicated sheep shooter, if I could still climb and pack for long periods in the high country, I would now choose my Kimber MA-.280AI or one of my P-64 Fwts, .270Win. in synthetics. I also have three more .280s, smallring Brno 21/22 series in synthetics and a light custom HVA-.280Rem., Kreiger, Bansner and so on, any of these will do fine.

I have never owned a .25-06, wanted one for 50ish years and am discussing rebarreling my old HVA 4100, in a Brown Kevlar handle, Wisner 3-pos., etc, to make a light .25-06. Gary Flach, will do this one as he has done several projects for me and he knows how I like my rifles.

With guys like Terry L'Heureaux, Jan Kolenbrander, and Gary in BC, we are lucky as one can get a rifle suited for mountain hunting, without importing from the USA, which can be a real PITA. Add the simply outstanding stockwork and so forth by Mitch Kendall to that and I never bother going elsewhere.

Boy, things in mountain rifles have sure improved since I started this obsession so long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    The little sheep hunting I have done, mostly in conjunction with hunts for other game, I just carried whatever I was using at the time and these were a P-64 Mod. 70 full custom .280Rem., my first rifle with a synthetic stock, built in 1985, and my beloved first original P-64 Alaskan, .338WM, in a synthetic.

For a dedicated sheep shooter, if I could still climb and pack for long periods in the high country, I would now choose my Kimber MA-.280AI or one of my P-64 Fwts, .270Win. in synthetics. I also have three more .280s, smallring Brno 21/22 series in synthetics and a light custom HVA-.280Rem., Kreiger, Bansner and so on, any of these will do fine.

I have never owned a .25-06, wanted one for 50ish years and am discussing rebarreling my old HVA 4100, in a Brown Kevlar handle, Wisner 3-pos., etc, to make a light .25-06. Gary Flach, will do this one as he has done several projects for me and he knows how I like my rifles.

With guys like Terry L'Heureaux, Jan Kolenbrander, and Gary in BC, we are lucky as one can get a rifle suited for mountain hunting, without importing from the USA, which can be a real PITA. Add the simply outstanding stockwork and so forth by Mitch Kendall to that and I never bother going elsewhere.

Boy, things in mountain rifles have sure improved since I started this obsession so long ago!
    not to be gruesome but some young relatives of yours will be crying and smiling in 25 years when you go the the happy hunting grounds...yes i know your age but as they say" time spent hunting and fishing is not deducted from the lifetime of a man"

I have NO "young relatives" now who are interested in guns, hunting or shooting of any type. I do have some who hunt, but, are very well off and have the guns they want.

I fully intend to live past 100 and wear out every gun I currently have, no point in hoarding them for others!

That said, I have sold about a dozen very choice pieces over the past five years and wish to sell several others, for example, I have a matched pair of VERY cherry P-64s, in .300/.375H&H, lots of brass, Noslers, ect. and in Rimrock stocks by Mitch-----you NEED these and my price would be very fair. So, YOU would be "smiling"!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I have NO "young relatives" now who are interested in guns, hunting or shooting of any type. I do have some who hunt, but, are very well off and have the guns they want.

I fully intend to live past 100 and wear out every gun I currently have, no point in hoarding them for others!

That said, I have sold about a dozen very choice pieces over the past five years and wish to sell several others, for example, I have a matched pair of VERY cherry P-64s, in .300/.375H&H, lots of brass, Noslers, ect. and in Rimrock stocks by Mitch-----you NEED these and my price would be very fair. So, YOU would be "smiling"!
    i do love the m70s....you have given me some food for thought...might have to start making my case to sweety how i NEED them

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Tell us more about the 6.5 Creedmoor ???
    I have a legendary arms ordered in the professional model. It's not a ultralight but 6.5lb and a 24" barrel. They sure look good and have a few features like crf that I prefer over push feed. I'll post pics and a range report when it comes.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Mind my asking where you ordered it from? I like the look of these, have some experience dealing with the principals of the company and am sorta interested in one.

My Legendary Arms 704 came from Clay @ Prophet River, this after several discussions with Mark Bansner and several colleagues.
    I wanted a rifle in the 28 Nosler chambering but not the Nosler rifle itself as it just didn't feel right for me.
    On the other hand, the Bansner stocked LAW fits like a glove and shoots like a dream.
    I have had several Bansner - stocked rifles and have just got a Howa Alpine in .308 from Clay with the same stock.
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    I have a legendary arms ordered in the professional model. It's not a ultralight but 6.5lb and a 24" barrel. They sure look good and have a few features like crf that I prefer over push feed. I'll post pics and a range report when it comes.
    your going to love that rifle Barry, I've got to shoulder and look Kevans 28 Nosler over a cpl of times and it's awesome, looking forward to seeing it and a range report.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

My sheep killing was done with my 7MM Remington mag, 140 and 160 grain bullets.