Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Bear derby Official!

2023 Bear derby Official!

HBC Spring Bear Contest 2023

With everything going on in the world, I think it’s time to run another one of these to take everyone’s mind off the everyday stresses and get out enjoying the beautiful wilderness that we are lucky to enjoy and fill our freezers with delicious fee range meat.

General Rules:

All entries must be BC wildlife.

1 cut bear tag = 1 ballot for the draw

All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on the Contest entry thread (not this thread) once I’ve posted that.
    If you can’t post picture yourself or have any issues you can email me and I will post them for you.

All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Apr 1 2023.

All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are preferred and I’ll put an entry post in the contest thread for you.

All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.

picture of the cut tag with your bear is required, but personal details can be blurred out for the forum posts.

Winners will be determined by random draw done by a member not participating in the draw, but if not my local gun store owner will draw the winner.

Contest ends June 30/2023

Please allow up to 2 weeks after contest close to organize the draw and get the prizes mailed out to the winner.

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored. This simplifies and streamlines the process so no one is missed and this is fair.

Required Information

Species:
    Date of Kill:
    Region:
    Harvest method inc caliber(unless it’s a bow kill)

Short Story:

photo last:

Of course, if anyone else has anything to donate I’d gladly pay for and arrange shipping or pickup and 100% of donations would go to the winner/s. I have not reached out to any businesses yet but should have time to do so this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Now onto the current prizes, this may have additions going forward but at minimum we have;

$200 Cabelas gift card donated by RyoTHC (usually I’d like to support a local business, but I already have this from a warranty claim.)

A beautiful German made full tang stag handle knife with leather sheath donated by SRUPP

**********(to be updated once I pick up the prize) donated by Kill-da-rabbit

Havalon skinning knife donated by Fozzy

Used but fully functional Garmin 64st GPs for a youth only draw donated by anonymous*

As it stands, we will have one knife and the gps for a youth prize and the gift card, second knife and **** for a general prize.

The caveat is that I’m doing the youth draw first and any youth that don’t win that draw will also remain in the general prize draw so potentially both prizes will go to a youth.

*****PLEASE READ THIS*******

I will discard entries from the contest, because they haven't followed the simple rules, and it's a real shame. Most of the discarded entries will be because people post entries for their non member kids, wives or friends. (Not a member, can't participate, so get those people signed up! You have until end of March)

Other common reason for discarding entry is when people just put a link in their post, with no photo or other information. There is a simple and easy to use format for entries, so please use it.

So get your relatives signed up, use the form, read the rules again to make sure your entry complies, and have fun! Good luck and enjoy your bear pepperoni.

here’s hoping to an even better turn out than last time and hopefully this draw format appeals to more people as I know many people didn’t bother even entering my last derby once a few big bears were entered.. this evens the playing field, and encourages everyone to participate and to fill their tags not just hunt for a trophy bear.

Any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to PM me.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 03-23-2023 at 07:03 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2023 Bear derby Official!

Awesome to see. I edited it only to make the font larger for us older guys Thanks for doing this!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Awesome to see. I edited it only to make the font larger for us older guys Thanks for doing this!

That’s more than fair considering I poached most of your write up lol

I will edit as soon as I’ve picked up the other prize and if any other donations come in.
    good luck everyone !

Just over a week until another hunting season is upon us.

Hi Ryan, thanks for organizing this, hopefully I will be able to participate. If I kill two bears in Spring, I can only submit one entry (of the larger bear) right?
    Too many hobbies, too little time.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentcui View Post
    Hi Ryan, thanks for organizing this, hopefully I will be able to participate. If I kill two bears in Spring, I can only submit one entry (of the larger bear) right?
    Dude, it says 1 cut bear tag = 1 ballot for the draw
    forever noob

Nice job RyoTHC , we all appreciate you putting this thread, and contest together, cheers...

What's the trick to making new accounts for my kids?
    Do they need their own email addresses first?

Don't want to get myself banned for multiple accounts! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    What's the trick to making new accounts for my kids?
    Do they need their own email addresses first?

Don't want to get myself banned for multiple accounts! lol

Good day sir.
    a unique valid email should be all you need to get the ball rolling I believe.

sorry for the delay replying, new job has me travelling lots.

as for the draw entry question, you can buy and fill two bear tags each spring so you can have up to two entries for the draws assuming you filled both tags.

Let’s keep this bumped up now that bear season is upon us.

island guys should be filling tags any day now!
    still 3 weeks I’d say until my neck of the woods is really grooving.

going to give it a go last weekend of April and see what it brings, still COLd nights and heavy frost killing any potential new growth though.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Let’s keep this bumped up now that bear season is upon us.

island guys should be filling tags any day now!
    still 3 weeks I’d say until my neck of the woods is really grooving.

going to give it a go last weekend of April and see what it brings, still COLd nights and heavy frost killing any potential new growth though.
    I'm seeing the same in my neck of the woods..