Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

Hello, everyone.

Please only reply if you KNOW the answer, conjecture may only confuse the issue

I have a dual purpose motorbike and wish to use it to get from my residence to the bush. My plan is then to do my usual walking hunt.
    My question is: what do I have to do to legally transport my rifle on my motorbike while on public roads?
    My plan is to mount a Kolpin case to the motorbike (behind me, pointing down at approx 45-60 degrees). The rifle would be unloaded, with the bolt removed, a trigger lock on, and the case locked. Once at my spot, I would make the rife functional and go for my walking hunt. This is what I currently do with my truck, the difference being that my rifle is not at all visible by other motorists while I am in transit.

A google search resulted in contradictory information.

Please only reply if you KNOW the answer, conjecture may only confuse the issue

Thank you in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

No issues, you’re doing everything correct and legal.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Why would the bolt be removed, and why have a trigger lock?
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

LEGALLY you can unload it and sling it over your shoulder and drive down the road with a non restricted firearm, as long as you are in control of the muzzle to ensure it never points at someone. This will draw police attention of course, but it’s legal transport.

So what you propose is legal as well. Although it may be easier to use a backpack with a rifle scabbard.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have a better question: should you be successful, and I’m sure you will be, will you strap the buck to your handlebars? I carried my rifle in a soft case on my bike. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
    I have a better question: should you be successful, and I’m sure you will be, will you strap the buck to your handlebars? I carried my rifle in a soft case on my bike. No issues.
    He can make the deer into a backpack and ride home. I would pay to see that in the Lower Mainland. https://youtu.be/5NnGJeIb-5g
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

I would trigger lock maybe, certainly not bolt removed and case locked in top of that. You’ll lose your keys one day. Or maybe the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    I would trigger lock maybe, certainly not bolt removed and case locked in top of that. You’ll lose your keys one day. Or maybe the bolt.
    Trigger lock is not required legally.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I believe what you’re trying to do is make things “over secure” for appearances which I am sure the police would appreciate. Sure what may be legal is one thing but to take the extra steps is nice. If it was me. My suggest would be to get a rectangle or long gun case and have some sort of bracket holding it onto your bike much like the koplin one would be. That way, most people would just think it’s a large rectangle box and doesn’t have the shape of a gun. I say this because you and I know what it is and that it’s fine, but allllllll the other people who have never even seen a gun in real life will just see this large black gun on the side of a motorcycle and call it in. The image of a MC with a gun case is typically not normal and MC or all purpose bikes arent associated with hunting. Seeing an atv with one is normal because it’s easy to believe an atv is used for that purpose
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

+1 to that, unless you don't mind being potentially delayed from having the cops called on you. As much as 'over secure' and whatnot annoys the heck out of me, I also don't like to be bothered by the Fuzz.

I once walked from the vehicle at 7/11 in a rural town, in hunting season, wearing full camo to the gun store 70ft away carrying a gun case, and had the boys in blue called.