Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    I use to never have a problem finding my way around. I have to admit, in the last few years I've been messed up a few times. I guess one loses their sense of direction when they get older. Getting lost and having to be rescued would be so embarrassing. I'll probably be one of those old guys that wonders out of the hospital never to be seen again.
    Daniel Boone once said "I`ve never been lost but a time or two I wasn`t sure where found was for about a month"
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

I wouldn't say I have an outright fear of G-Bear.
    That doesn't say I try to be a aware as possible.
    Someone else's "gut pile", in G-Bear country is always a "Big" concern.
    I know of more than 1 person that got it good from a G-Bear in that type of situation.
    I have spent enough tome out there bugling, but it's the cow call that has provided... should we say,
    some very enlightening moments.
    G-Bears can come in pretty damn quiet when they want to, but, super stealthy belongs to the Cat.
    Let's put it this way...I don't sleep "under the tree" at lunch time anymore.
    Probably the one other big one is running into a Sow with Cubs....
    That "Will" get your heart racing......
    Otherwise, I don't think about it much....but, I do stay aware.
    GPS has been a great help for me, but, they can potentially break at the wrong time, so you still
    have to pay attention....
    Like they say, a 4 wheel drive does not mean you won't get stuck, it just means you will get
    stuck way further in.......potentially.

Bugle that was awesome
    Jel -- You bin dare 4 sure tanks bud -- for real

Not so much scared...just give the bush the respect it deserves...if you don't....it can eff you up

My only fear is hunting alone and choking. I was walking by myself once during scouting season in a new area, in the bush. eating a granola bar and started to choke. I managed to hack it out but it was an eye opener. So now I'm a bit paranoid ha eat only when sitting
    perseverance pays off

Ive never feared the forest,i do however dislike darkness,especialy when turned around in the bush when comeing back from an evening hunt.It happened to me once off the Alaska hyway near the prophet river{early 1990's},it was the last time I left camp for the evening hunt without my pack and flashlight.
    Numerous times since ive been late getting back to camp,usually when Ive

shot something at last light,but having a good flashlight makes all the difference.

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IslandBC View Post
    My only fear is hunting alone and choking. I was walking by myself once during scouting season in a new area, in the bush. eating a granola bar and started to choke. I managed to hack it out but it was an eye opener. So now I'm a bit paranoid ha eat only when sitting
    Thats funny, I think about this quite a bit when I go out alone. I even ski in avalanche terrain alone fairly often, but I figure then, if something happens, it was due to a series of bad decisions on my part. Choking seems so random and almost unavoidable. Lol

I live for being in the Wilderness, the fewer people the better!

I have hiked and camped in BC since the late 70's and have never really been threatened by any animal except for a wild horse in the Chilcotin.

Now that I hunt, I do a lot of scouting and that is where I am concerned, when hiking we make a lot of noise, when scouting I'm alone by myself and very quiet, that is when a bear or something else can cross my path or come up behind me which has happened, I'll never be without a firearm after that.

When in the off beaten paths out of a settlement or town I would recommend carrying a rifle or 12 gage shoot gun.
    -- the hills around towns like Kammy are teaming with wildlife and going for a nice long hike up ridges could find you face to face with a cat or bear. So use your right to carry and carry better than being scary
    Make sure you out the towns limits as you hike up and along.
    Jel -- Nothing to fear but fear itself, and we all have a lil fear in us at times -- a rifle on hand helps.

people are not honest..with themselves or others. It is a high percentage that are not comfortable in the woods.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)