Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bull moose, size L

Re: Bull moose, size L

it isn't until you eat some of the freshwater game fish like walleye, pike, perch and bass that you realize how really superior it is to salmonids...Walleye (or pickerel) are by far my favourite and pan frying them while the heart still beats in the gut pile is heavenly...the pike have large y-bones and are quite slimmy (the slime is a bit smelly too) but still great....Bass should be gutted as soon as they are caught to prevent strong stomach acids from tainting the meat....Perch will sometimes have small worm cysts in the meat especially during the warmer season but otherwise excellent table fare

Very nice Moose and great story telling and pics, enjoy the fruits of your labour and thanks for posting the story.

Great story! That will be a story you and your buddies will tell time and time again. You have set the bar high.... they may not want to try and beat that one! Well done.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Beauty bull. Nothing beats the sense of accomplishment after a pack out like that. Well done and thanks for sharing! I keep procrastinating the posting of our moose hunt this year. Ill get on it this week. Just needed a little motivation!

Well done on the bull, the writeup, and the pics, it could go in a hunting magazine...I know your pain on harder packouts, though not with a moose...what has 'lessened' the pain for me personally, is not only hiking/snowshoeing year round, but lots of squats!!!

[QUOTE=kennyj;1863968]Great story and awesome bull. Nice long tines on that guy. Ya, there's nothing like walking up on a huge bull far from the road all by yourself. You don't know weather to laugh or cry! Great fun looking back at it.
    thanks for the story.
    kenny[/QUOTE

of course we swore up and down that we would never go back to that spot for a moose, and of course after about a week that sounded pretty rediculous. Sign me up for another!

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Great hunting writeup!

Nice job on the moose, that's cool you used a 99 savage in 300 savage. That's not a cartridge that you hear about every day.
    yup. And for a "small" caliber it sure did its job. And it is quite simply a luckier rifle

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Well done on the bull, the writeup, and the pics, it could go in a hunting magazine...I know your pain on harder packouts, though not with a moose...what has 'lessened' the pain for me personally, is not only hiking/snowshoeing year round, but lots of squats!!!
    my conditioning is quite good but I deal with tendonitis of both Achilles, that slowed me down a bit. I was expecting to smash the other guys on the pack out but this did not happen

Excellent story thanks for sharing. Looking forward for more of your hunting trips here.

Congrats an a great bull!!

They are all worth it, even the ones you and your partners swear at and say never again.....until the next time!!!

Thanks for sharing your story!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!