Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leica rifle scopes - new line

Re: Leica rifle scopes - new line

I own an Leica ER 2.5-10x42 30mm. Glass is amazing and it is extremely durable. I am hard on my gear and only started using any sort of scope cover this year. The objective has been covered in water, snow, leaves, dust, wacked by sticks etc and doesn't have a mark on it. I have had the scope for 8 or so years now. Great eye relief, crystal clear glass and excellent ergonomics. I can't speak to the quality of their turret system as mine is capped but I am sure they are great.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Yes, Leupold VX5HD is a great line. Leica is just something .... different.

I don't know the prices for canadian market, but i'm guessing it will be more expensive than the Zeiss V4 or Leupold VX5 HD.
    Yes Im sure the Leica line will be way more money,,I have a Leica rangefinder,,,excellent product,,owned it for 8 years, still thrilled with it. I lke Swaro stuff too, but cant justify the prices..

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I own an Leica ER 2.5-10x42 30mm. Glass is amazing and it is extremely durable. I am hard on my gear and only started using any sort of scope cover this year. The objective has been covered in water, snow, leaves, dust, wacked by sticks etc and doesn't have a mark on it. I have had the scope for 8 or so years now. Great eye relief, crystal clear glass and excellent ergonomics. I can't speak to the quality of their turret system as mine is capped but I am sure they are great.
    Curious, what made you choose a leica scope 8 years ago? It seems the BC hunters are much more partial to Swarovski and Zeiss, so curious why you went with Leica.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Curious, what made you choose a leica scope 8 years ago? It seems the BC hunters are much more partial to Swarovski and Zeiss, so curious why you went with Leica.
    My uncle is a bit of a Euro snob when it comes to optics. I didn't know much about Leica then besides their range finders. He urged me to look into their scope line. After some research and talking to a photographer friend I undetstood just how excellent Leica glass was. I contacted Omer and he happened to have a special on the previous years model. I couldn't pass it up.

I agree though. You see alot more Zeiss and Swaro in the BC hunting community.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

That’s because until now Zeiss and Swaro had better options for the North American hunter. Leica has always forced European ideology in what they think we should be using, until now. This line, especially the 3-18 was designed specifically for the North American market. Leica has always made a high quality scope but these have the features that we look for in a hunting scope.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    That’s because until now Zeiss and Swaro had better options for the North American hunter. Leica has always forced European ideology in what they think we should be using, until now. This line, especially the 3-18 was designed specifically for the North American market. Leica has always made a high quality scope but these have the features that we look for in a hunting scope.

This is it exactly, its like they weren't interested in what we use or need as far as scopes go in North America, they half heartedly attempted to make some scopes to dabble in the NA market at best, and expensive is the other setback for Leica, they have great products but are overpriced imho, they need to compete here with price point as well as desirable hunting/long range shooting scopes, hopefully this time around they take a better run at the NA markets.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

^^ well said, both of you.

While I think the previous 2.5-10x42 is a great north America-style scope, they definitely had way too many European offerings and I doubt their sales did that well.

Do you know if their scopes were always German made? Or if they ever took advantage of their plant in Portugal to make some models at a lower price?

I could care less where it’s made but it your question no I don’t know where they’re made. Leica has the best glass in the business and I’m pretty stoked to lay my hands on these scopes. If the mechanics are good itlll be the one to beat.

Mine says Germany.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Mine says Germany.
    same with mine