Thread: Caribou hunt info

Caribou hunt info

Hi all,

I知 thinking about changing up my annual father/daughter hunting trip this year. We usually go after deer and or moose in region 3. However I知 intrigued by the idea of possibly hunting Caribou this fall instead. I noticed that is is a number of GOS and LEH seasons available, however I知 not familiar with the areas that these hunts are in. Can anyone tell me if there is any caribou hunting areas that are relatively accessible for a 3-4 day hunt. I won稚 have the ability to fly or boat in anywhere. I do have an atv. I知 not asking for anyone to give up any honey holes, I知 just trying to get an idea if its worth putting research time into this one.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Caribou hunt info

Not sure where your travelling from but most caribou hunts are 3-4 days travel 2 there 2 home

I'll start by saying that 3-4 days would probably not be enough time.
    That being said, You can occassionally see caribou right off highway 37; gnat pass maybe (lots of atv restrictions so check regs) Jade Boulder road just south of Dease lake (again, some restricitons and a really rough road, but caribou are there), or maybe taking a wander in around Good Hope Lake.
    Maybe someone else might have some info on reg 7?

A 1 day hike off the hwy between fort nelson and Liard hit springs can get you into caribou. 18-20 hourish drive from Vancouver. I've seen legal bulls off the hwy by racing river but that was in June when I was working up there many years ago.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, i should have clarified. I’m coming from Vancouver island so I fully expect 2 days travel on either end, i meant 3-4 days of hunting once I’m in the area.

Personally - I wouldnt plan for a trip like that without at minimum 7/8 hunting days. It usually takes 2-3 days just to get your bearings of a new area and even start to sort out where you should be looking.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Personally - I wouldnt plan for a trip like that without at minimum 7/8 hunting days. It usually takes 2-3 days just to get your bearings of a new area and even start to sort out where you should be looking.
    Just to put it in perspective after a two day drive you cant just show up strap your pack on and head in to the deep... also you need to get the meat out. 2 day travel 3 day hunt 2 day travel. Thats a week never mind finding a legal animal and packout

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Just to put it in perspective after a two day drive you cant just show up strap your pack on and head in to the deep... also you need to get the meat out. 2 day travel 3 day hunt 2 day travel. Thats a week never mind finding a legal animal and packout
    This ..... Reality......
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

3 days there / 3 days back. Plan for 10 days minimum. Bring your "Talk is Sheep" Podcast collection.

you are looking at 2-3 days travel each way. i go every year around dease, let me know if youd like info. cheers