Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Idea,Xmas on the Queen Charlottes "Haida Gwaii"

Crazy Idea,Xmas on the Queen Charlottes "Haida Gwaii"

My wife and I are thinking about flying there ,and checking the area out over the Holidays.
    We would fly in from YVR. Thought it might be fun to do a few days of tiny deer hunting while I'm there. Any tips on Guides/Outfitters,Butchers that could take care of the meat/and shipping. We will rent a vehicle,but apparently some might not be to happy if it goes offroad. PM if you like, any help or info much appreciated. Kind of a Bucket list thing,but self employed in the Lower Waistland so only have so much time off.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crazy Idea,Xmas on the Queen Charlottes "Haida Gwaii"

Should be fun, don't know about butcher's but you probably don't need a guide.

I know the rental car company puts out in its contract that anytime they find out you went off road with their vehicles it's $1,000 fine.

As long as they don't fine you for putting deer in the trunk you should be ok?

the Super-Valu grocery store in Sandspit hung, cut and wrapped years ago, not sure now. rent a truck and no worrying
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Baru farm...
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Just bring sandwich bags. Can put like 3 of those deer in one bag

We did the Christmas hunt thing there a few years back. Drove up, planned to sleep in the canopy as we wanted to explore and not be tied to one spot. Had a bed and everything. It absolutely poured on us for the entire time. Ten days of soaking, saturating rain. Nothing dried. And then we went to go home and the ferry was delayed for four days by weather.

We had had a great time. Got our limits of deer, saw hardly anyone else. But if I did it again, I would do the wall tent with the wood stove to have somewhere warm and dry. Or rent a cabin somewhere off season.

Dont bother her trying to rent a vehicle up there. As soon as they see your gear, and ask why you are there they are likely to cancel it. They were all over rentals driving on north beach a few years back. Apparently, had someone sitting at the beach entrance watching for the rentals coming on.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks." - Winston Churchill

How do you make the eye roll emoji? Some interesting comments on here. ......I live here bud. Would love to help you out. PM me and I will give you the full low down. A phone convo will likely be required. I will be away elk hunting for the next 5 days but we’ll make sure your taken care of.

You sir are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Staal View Post
    How do you make the eye roll emoji? Some interesting comments on here. ......I live here bud. Would love to help you out. PM me and I will give you the full low down. A phone convo will likely be required. I will be away elk hunting for the next 5 days but we’ll make sure your taken care of.
    "Fight back, no battles have ever been won by a coward"