Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Ridge Move

Tumbler Ridge Move

The Family and I are moving To Tumbler Ridge this summer. We are moving from one great area (Dease) to another. Looking forward to the move and the new challenge. I have missed Elk hunting over the last 2 years as there is no open season up here. Just wondering if anybody has advise for a family moving. We are looking for minor hockey, oldtimers/mens rec and co-ed as everybody plays hockey in this Fam Jam. Also Baseball around.
    Is there ATV trails in town, as we have been living in the north and we can ride from our door step. I wouldn't think this is the case in Tumbler.
    Look forward to hearing your comments. And of course I will talk hunting all day long but, I respect the fact that in order to find a good spot you have to get off your ass and go find them.
    Cheers
    I'm not lost in the woods Im at home in the woods. If I was lost and you found me I guess I'm not deep enough in the woods.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tumbler Ridge Move

I don't live there, but I do know tumbler has a decent arena and a ball diamond. If memory serves there is a couple trails that head out of town, but I'm not sure the legality of using them. But there's lots of riding close by. From what I understand real estate is dropping there right now, and there's not all that much work around right now. So hopefully you're moving to a job.
    Lots of hunting close by, but depending on where you're coming from in the north, might not be as good as you're used to.
    Good luck, have fun.

There is trails in town. I have a great hunting partner that moved there right out of high school in the early 80s. He made a great livin there and moved away when the town crashed. He really missed the place. He ended up buying two houses there at dirt cheap prices. He now lives there again mortgage free. He raised two boys there that moved away after high school. They got homesick and returned. My buddy has had a great hunting career there as well. He shoots lots of everything every year. The town is close knit and friendly.

It's a beautiful place to live. I don't think they've got much for kids sports. When my kids were playing hockey we'd have to go to Chetwynd. I'm not to sure there is a school there either.

Thanks for the reply's
    I'm not lost in the woods Im at home in the woods. If I was lost and you found me I guess I'm not deep enough in the woods.

There are both a high school and elementary school here. I believe there is some sort of youth hockey and rec league/drop in for the adults.

Thre are trails for ATV's running up and down the hwy, though there is some issue with accessing them all right from town. I hear the ATV club and municipality are working towards a solution there, don't know for certain though as I hunt on foot.

The area here is awesome if you like being outdoors, I'll leave it at that.

I know the kids hockey dont have a team for pee wee or a bantam team as tumbler kids have to go to chetwynd to play last year anyways . And this year even chetwynd dont have a team all kids get mixed up and play non hitting midget team . We traveled to dawson 3 times a week to play on a dawson team instead .
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

I moved away a couple of years ago but when I was there I would ride out of my driveway to the nearest trail. It may not technically be allowed but lots do it and never seemed to be an issue, just ride respectfully. I don't think there are many places where you'd have to ride more than a couple of blocks to be on a trail.

Curious if you have work lined up in town or commuting somewhere? Either way I'll have a 4 bdrm house available in June or July, decently updated with a garage if you're looking at renting. I enjoyed Tumbler but left when most of the jobs did. If things ever pick back up there I would consider going back. I can tell you one thing though I sure don't miss the trips to Grande Prairie once or twice a month for shopping.

Oh and ask a local how to get to GP on the hour glass road. Be there in 1:45 instead of 2.5 hrs taking the highway.

Research is good. If they don't have hockey flood the back yard for real hockey and good times. Hunting? From what i hear its gonna be a nice place to live.