Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushpilot's 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt

Re: Bushpilot's 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt

As morning light broke the horizon our eyes were glued to the optics; relocating theanimals we had left at last light. None of the bands had moved locations so we discussed a plan of attack, as the jetboil warmed water for breakfast and to unthaw frozen water bottles. We decided to cut the distance in half by traveling up the valley to get a better idea of the terrain we would have to navigate to ascend to the goats. While we covered several kilometres before we stopped it only took a few minutes on our bikes. Stopping for a quick break andto get a better look at this band with the spotting scope, Levi called out as I fished a bar from my pack “Hey there is a lone billy that we haven’t seen before.” Putting my eye to the glass I was looking at one of the biggest bodied goats we had seen, and he was feeding in a patch of burnt timber above a cliff band, with good terrain to maneuver above him for a shot. We instantly switched gears and decide to make a play on this goat. Stashing our bikes we started the ascent up through what from afar just looked like a regular burn. However climbing into it we found that the burn was old enough to produce a 8ft fir regrowth jungle, laced with the wind felled corpses of the forest that once stood here. Our progress slowed to a near standstill as we fought our way through the thick regrowth, teetering on fallen logs like a balance beam, having our gear ripped from our packs. “How come whenever I hunt with you Levi we always end up going through the nastiest deadfall we can find,” I exclaimed as branches tore at my face. “You know Cody there is such a thing as becoming good at navigating windfall” he laughed, “especially when you have a 34” inseam like me!”

Finally after 3.5 hours of climbing we reached the bench above where we had last seen the billy. Stalking down through the burnt timber our eyes scanning to hopefully catch the billy bedded below. However we turned up nothing, with a cliff edge 40 yards below us and a gorge separating us from the rest of the bench, we wondering if he had sensed our presence escaped into treacherous terrain below. “Im going to that point on the cliff to see if I can spot anything further down the valley” Levi whispered.
    Last edited by bushpilot; 02-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Good read so far...

guest Guest

Lovin this so far.....takes me back to terribly painful but goodtimes.

Looking across the gorge

As he dropped down, I scanned the bench above without luck, turning my binoculars to the burnt timber across the gorge to evaluate the terrain I was shocked to see a mountain goat standing among the fire blackened trees staring right at me. Crouching into a sitting position I urgently whispered to Levi “GOAT!!!”Bringing the goat back into the view of my binoculars as he stood quartering tous at less than 200 meters, his body language was that of curiosity not alarm, confident that open space of the gorge was ample protection from us. As Levi maneuvered behind me as I ran through my mental checklist of identifying the sex of a mountain goat. Wide bases, long nose, horn gland, large body I was pretty confident this was the lone billy, however even before this trip I made my mind up that I would not shoot even if I had the slightest suspicion it was a nanny. “What do you think?” I asked Levi, who has several trips and a goat of his own under his belt. “That’s a big billy man, shoot that goat!” he exclaimed, probably wondering why my rifle was still laying in my lap. Scanning the timber for other goats and finding none, I took one long last look at this magnificent animal, admiring his vigilant and bold stance. Picking up my rifleI scooted a few yards to the nearest tree, “he’s at 140” Levi whispered behind me as the reticle steadied on the billy’s shoulder, and I started the slow press of the trigger. At the shot he fell but regained his feet, staying true to their reputation of toughness several more shots rang out. A crash signalled his end, then another, and another as he started rolling to the edge cliff and then over, plummeting out of sight onto the boulders below. Levi rushed forward to the cliff edge to watch the goat fall, I followed but dared not go to the edge as the shaking from the adrenaline was more than I could control.

the cliff band from below

Working our way down the gorge, we discovered out prize amongst boulders and deadfall below. Running my hands along his thick white coat, admiring the beauty of this beast and the long curved black daggers that jutted from his head (which thankfully were still intact.) As we worked breaking down our trophy, I staredup in the mountains surrounding us in which these creatures inhabit. The whole experience coming together in a single moment of pure clarity, “Good job bud, now you have a nice trophy, for the wall,” Levi congratulated me as he deboneda quarter. “The size of the trophy lies in the size of the endeavour,” I replied.

Last edited by bushpilot; 02-06-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Now with loaded packs and only a couple hours before dark we descended down to where we stashed the bikes, to make our way out. It seems like Murphy’s law had one more trick up his sleeve, as with still 12km left to bike back to the vehicle; a sudden clank sounded just as my left foot hit the gravel of the road. Staring down in shock, the pedal assembly of my bike had come off and was laying where it had fallen on the road. With a large rock and multitool we were able to perform a bush repair and continue undeterred to our campsite. Now with cam pand the deboned billy on our backs, we set off for the truck with only a few minutes of daylight left. Pushing hard by the light of our headlamps, the truck came into view less than an hour later, our shout of excitement echoed through the night as we descended the last hill. A shot of whiskey and a hearty sandwich eased aching muscles, laughing and joking as we packed the truck forthe journey home. I came to this place to claim an animal that I had always admired, however the true hunt is to seek out the harsh wilderness that that they endure and to navigate the terrain they call home. Even though the memory of the pain and exhaustion that accompanied this hunt is still fresh, I find myself day dreaming and planning for the next time I can pursue the beast the colour of winter.

Just keep smiling through the pain!
    Last edited by bushpilot; 02-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.

What a beauty! Good for you guys! Sounds like a cool adventure. Goat hunting is tough that's for sure. Been after a few but have yet to take home a trophy. Well done

Well done good story. Very nice goat

awesome goat and awesome story!

Awesome billy!! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Where's the plane?