Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How many of you would do this....Honestly

Re: How many of you would do this....Honestly

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    the difference is that a pair of binos cannot operate without a user and they take manpower in order to witness something . A game cam is unmanned surveillance and many people consider it is rather Orwellian . To say it doesn't help hunters is absurd or else hunters wouldnt use them (they are a huge advantage as they tell you time place and activity of all that pass or don't pass and that allows you to determine patterns ,game density and strategic plans) .
    I have dozens (maybe 30?) hours worth of videos from the last year alone. There is no pattern to any of the activity what so ever. An animal might visit a couple days in a row or go on a week/month long hiatus. All a trailcam can confirm that an animal was in the area. It's not like it will show up every day at 9am and 6pm, approaching from one direction and leaving in another. Hunting the areas around my cameras, I haven't ever seen an animal that was on said cam, but I have seen plenty of other animals that were not on the cam. Game density can be more easily determined by going for a short walk, looking at tracks/poop/rubs/etc and glassing. Patterns and strategic plans? Good luck with that. If I had to choose between a trailcam and a headlamp for gear, I'd sure as heck take the headlamp as it is much more useful. It can get me into my spot before first light.

Trailcams are fairly useless for hunting, but very cool because they offer unique wildlife viewing/filming opportunities whether it's making a time-lapse video of a fawn growing up, a cougar coming in and sniffing where a doe was laying or a compilation of bears playing around with the cameras. It's a year round hobby that many enjoy. Legal and fun, don't like it, too bad.

Advantage? It is possible but slight compared to flashlights, gor-tex, range finder, binos, etc. Not every animal in an area is going to visit the trailcam. 99.5% probably won't at all. You will generally see more animals in 1 day of glassing than 30 days of trailcam footage so anyone thinking cams give an unfair advantage better give up the binos.

Orwellian? Well if anyone really thinks that, my advice to them is that the New World Order is after us, slowly taking over the woods with trailcams. Yet somehow I have managed to hike well over 300km in the last two seasons, crossing paths with a whopping total of 1 camera. I sure hope they aren't reading our thoughts right now or this thread will go into the memory hole. The world must be a very scary place for those people. If anyone wants to stay home and hide because they think the bush is infested with cameras behind every stump and tree, that's ok too
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-02-2015 at 01:44 PM.

hi all . here is a simple way to avoid painting someone with a brush and the mess that it will bring . somewhat covert perhaps but if it was me I would set up another camera to watch my obvious camera . the perpetrator would very likely make the assumption the the camera is singular, and the covert camera would then allow you make conclusive findings instead of conjecture about the facts .
    I am of the opinion that it is probable that 90 % of the people in the woods are honest and sincere . The other 10 % were born a -holes and nothing is going to change that .
    You have to ask yourself '' Is the boy you where proud of the man you have become '' . If you can answer yes to that question then you are living your life right

Cliff
    venture forth , and find more fun !

the difference is that a pair of binos cannot operate without a user and they take manpower in order to witness something . A game cam is unmanned surveillance and many people consider it is rather Orwellian . To say it doesn't help hunters is absurd or else hunters wouldnt use them (they are a huge advantage as they tell you time place and activity of all that pass or don't pass and that allows you to determine patterns ,game density and strategic plans) .
    Bull teat. I have several out year round and haven't shot a thing at the camera locations. It's another reason to get outside and see what's around.

I wouldn't touch one but some ahole grabbed mine and ran with it really pissed me next time i'll have another one watching the main one

seems like a solution to find out what is happening . kind of extreme , but it is how my fishing friends found out who was stealing at the boat launch . sadly the hills do have eyes !
    venture forth , and find more fun !

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I have dozens (maybe 30?) hours worth of videos from the last year alone. There is no pattern to any of the activity what so ever. An animal might visit a couple days in a row or go on a week/month long hiatus. All a trailcam can confirm that an animal was in the area. It's not like it will show up every day at 9am and 6pm, approaching from one direction and leaving in another. Hunting the areas around my cameras, I haven't ever seen an animal that was on said cam, but I have seen plenty of other animals that were not on the cam. Game density can be more easily determined by going for a short walk, looking at tracks/poop/rubs/etc and glassing. Patterns and strategic plans? Good luck with that. If I had to choose between a trailcam and a headlamp for gear, I'd sure as heck take the headlamp as it is much more useful. It can get me into my spot before first light.

Trailcams are fairly useless for hunting, but very cool because they offer unique wildlife viewing/filming opportunities whether it's making a time-lapse video of a fawn growing up, a cougar coming in and sniffing where a doe was laying or a compilation of bears playing around with the cameras. It's a year round hobby that many enjoy. Legal and fun, don't like it, too bad.

Advantage? It is possible but slight compared to flashlights, gor-tex, range finder, binos, etc. Not every animal in an area is going to visit the trailcam. 99.5% probably won't at all. You will generally see more animals in 1 day of glassing than 30 days of trailcam footage so anyone thinking cams give an unfair advantage better give up the binos.

Orwellian? Well if anyone really thinks that, my advice to them is that the New World Order is after us, slowly taking over the woods with trailcams. Yet somehow I have managed to hike well over 300km in the last two seasons, crossing paths with a whopping total of 1 camera. I sure hope they aren't reading our thoughts right now or this thread will go into the memory hole. The world must be a very scary place for those people. If anyone wants to stay home and hide because they think the bush is infested with cameras behind every stump and tree, that's ok too

why do you suppose trail cams are used by F&W, sportsmen and others (Myself included ) They do exactly as I said and I really don't know how you could try to say they don't . When I put out a lick guess what I get animals showing up, when I watch a game trail I get to see if they are nocturnal or diurnal and how many over a set period of time . To say you havn't taken an animal exactly where the camera is seems rather far fetched because they are in the same range as the animal species your after then yes you have taken an animal in the same area.

People that say it has no influence on hunting probably say they get playboy for the articles .

don't like the advantage of using a game cam then don't use one but don't try to say it isn't an advantage
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Thespydr View Post
    And if i ever see a drone i'll guage it out of the sky like a clay pigeon...

BAM

Its illegal to use a Drone for hunting and scouting.. its legal to use a trail cam..
    Trail cams are a great way to see whats in the area. We are not hunting in this 1980's. A trail cam is one of many items almost every hunter has in his or her arsenal. To take or disrupt someones personal equipment is unethical. You dont just go on google maps and turn on your cam. It takes a ton of scouting and effort just to find a decent area to set up your cam, then to go back every few weeks to swap SD cards and batteries, then form a game plan to hunt that area. Thats a TON of work. More work then it took for someone to wonder by and steal steal it. Dont like the new age of hunting? stay home.

People that say it has no influence on hunting probably say they get playboy for the articles .
    don't like the advantage of using a game cam then don't use one but don't try to say it isn't an advantage
    I'll give you advantage, but not more advantage than optics or warm socks. It's ok we have different opinions. Heck we might just have different experiences due to different animal species and different habitat. The only thing for certain is the above quote was down right hilarious. Good job on that, this thread needed some humor and you delivered!

I'm off for a week long hunt. Will probably check in here at some point. You guys are all awesome (except cam thieves those guys aren't worthy of being coyote bait!!) ... happy hunting!!!

The difference between optics and a trail cam is time. Time in the bush versus time sitting on your as.s. The reason we use trail cams at work is so we don't have to have people in the bush. The reason I don't use trail cams for hunting is cause I want to be in the bush. If the didn't let us estimate population size, figure out travel corridors, etc. we wouldn't spend our clients money putting them out and they wouldn't pay for it. Argue about if they are Orwellian or not, but don't tell me they are the same as binos or corrective lenses. Crap, given that logic we should all be using pointy sticks and nothing else .... Actually not a bad idea but the logic is still illogical.

Sounds like you ran into a prick, happens to all of us. At least no real damage was sustained.