Prince Rupert, B.C.
    V8J 4B1

December 29, 2009

Mr. Ralph Archibald
    Environmental Stewardship Division
    Ministry of Environment
    Box 9339 Stn. Prov. Gov’t.
    Victoria B.C. V8W 9M1

Re - Klappan River Road Blockade and Subsequent Proposed Wildlife Management Changes.

Dear Ralph,

The Northwest Fish and Wildlife Conservation Association membership (The Regional Branch of the B.C. Wildlife Federation), wish to express their extreme disgust and
    frustration towards the illegal road blockade on the Klappan River Road that occurred in September of this year.

Government and the two policing agencies responsible for enforcing the law failed to protect legal rights, opportunities, property and safety of many citizens. The illegal behavior of certain Tahltan Band Members and lack of punishment for their illegal behavior now demonstrates to First Nations people that breaking the law leads to
    successful campaigning that discriminates and unjustly hinders other law abiding citizens of British Columbia .

Government behavior and subsequent lack of action by policing agencies makes a mockery of the Canadian Justice System, now viewed by us as an internal attach on our Sovereignty!

At the Skeena Hunters Advisory Committee meeting held Dec. 12, 2009 in Smithers. Regional M.O.E. Manager Tom Bell revealed to the committee a joint proposal from
    M.O.E. staff and the Tahltan Band that would unjustly impact resident hunters of British Columbia. Reducing the hunting season for moose in Region 6-19 to 6-29 by 30 days, reducing the hunting season by 60 days in portions of 6-20 and putting the Stikine, Pitman and Chuckachida Rivers on L.E.H. for moose are management proposals that are neither scientifically or socially defensible.

It is our contention that the illusion of scarcity being promoted by certain members of the Tahltan Band is part of a propaganda smear campaign to deliberately discredit resident hunters.

It is also our contention and supported by M.O.E. Biologists that the moose populations in regions 6-19 thru 6-29 are robust and no infringement of Aboriginal
    hunting rights exists.

While we are prepared to enter into further discussion with your staff in Smithers regarding a game check station on the Klappan River Road it would be our expectation
    that the station would be run professionally and without prejudice and that all hunters including guided non-residents and F.N. be obliged to report their activity and success.

We are also prepared to discuss with your Smithers staff logistics and workability of a compulsory inspection center at or near Tatogga Lake Resort. Again we would expect all hunters including F.N. and non-residents to report their harvest.

Our members feel that they as resident hunters have been deliberately targeted with no mention of the harvest and impact of non-residents. We are aware that for many species in the area harvest is dominated by non-residents and not residents as touted by some.

Spatsizi, Stikine, Chuckachita, Pitman and Edziza areas are prime examples.

In closing I wish to point out that revising hunting regulations and then doing inventory work is completely backwards. There are no conservation concerns for moose anywhere in the area of concern but there is certainly an optics issue.

May we suggest running the game check station, doing inventory work and then come back to the table to see if management changes are required.

Yours in Conservation

Ken Franzen – Chair N.F.W.C.A.

2. Site Sponsor

Devilbear Guest

Re: trouble on the klappan.

I completely support this proposal and this is an excellent letter; however, it will have NO effect as the government is, quite obviously, going to mollify the aboriginal demands by giving them any hunting and fishing "rights" that they demand. They can break the law with impunity and the increasing threats of violence and war seem to intimidate both politicians and civil servants.....where is Sir John. A. when we need him........????

What CAN we do? My new policy is simple, I ALWAYS stop in the bush or on the highway to offer assistance to ANY person(s) who appear in distress of ANY type and have done since I started hunting and driving. I will NOT stop, assist or even communicate with ANY person(s) who appear to be aboriginal at ANY time in future.

I am going to carry the "Wildlife Act", the "Criminal Code of Canada" and the firearms regs. in my vehicle at all times and govern my conduct rigidly by "the letter of the law"....NO more "hitchhikers" around Mt. Currie, for example, NO more sharing my spare gas with aboriginals who have "run out" and NO more assistance pulling old beaters stuck in the mud with my 4x4......I am sure I can think of more ways of "fighting back" with time.

We resident taxpaying citizens of BC/Canada are being f**ked over by government and we CAN do things to make it unpleasant for those who are involved, politically for politicians and by a refusal to cooperate with, assist or even interact with the aboriginals...we have the numbers, we simply need to "get tough" and stand tall for OUR rights!

great letter and very well written. I sure hope something can be done because this F.N. blockades and illegal actions are sure getting tiresome with no government involvement to resolve this issue. Im sure this will still be the case for the coming hunting season. Good luck and I sure hope you can help to make a change to our MOE.

Seems like the FN are becoming their own worst enemies.
    Years ago the Gov. chopped the moose season around Smithers/Hazelton to 6 friggen days.The reason?They said they had grossly under estimated the FN harvest,therefore non natives will have to lose 90% of their season.Up there almost every body hunts moose,that`s a lot of money saving meat in the freezer when you get one.
    Hardly seems like a good way to foster good relations with the FN.
    Oh well,the work has gone to shit anyway up there,I`m glad I left when I did.I hear the New Town Pub in New Hazelton has closed down.That`s gotta hurt them
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

I have written 6 or 7 letters now to MOE regarding this issue.. I'll copy/paste this one and send it again.

Some friends of mine in Prince Rupert were negatively effected by these roadblocks and had a midnight run in with the local natives in the Klappan area this year that was none to friendly.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Great letter, this might be a dream but maybe someday these types of actions will be dealt with in a timely manner.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post

It is our contention that the illusion of scarcity being promoted by certain members of the Tahltan Band is part of a propaganda smear campaign to deliberately discredit resident hunters.

It is also our contention and supported by M.O.E. Biologists that the moose populations in regions 6-19 thru 6-29 are robust and no infringement of Aboriginal
    hunting rights exists.

Ken Franzen – Chair N.F.W.C.A.

Well put Ken. Hope someone listens.

That letter needs to be sent to the national press!! It should also be sent to the Minister of Solicitor General, and the Premier!!

The only criticism of it I have is that there is no "call to action" or request for a reply. Both need to be very explicit and are necessary in order to begin documenting the Ministry's action, or lack there of.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

[quote=behemoth;596578]
    why dont we keep personal arguments to PM's so maybe one Thread regarding this issue can stay open without being closed because of peoples arguments. This is directed to everyone.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 01-06-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Excellent letter, well written and thank you.