Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 8X or 10 X binos for sheep hunting?

Re: 8X or 10 X binos for sheep hunting?

Get the swarovision 10x32. There light and have a bigger FOV than most 8x42 and 10x42. Expensive but worth it

Yf
    Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm 8x less eye strain with handheld shake...better for long hours..again qualitu swaro 8x 42..
    When ya want to check detail hd swaro spotting scope 20...60 x hd..
    We were talking sheep hunting...dont go without quality optics...including 65 mm spotting scope..
    Steven
    For sure. Already have access to a quality spotting scope. I'm thinking about a new set of binos as I wasn't really happy with my 8 x 42.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Hmmm yes they do, however theydo not spend 10 hrs a day looking for a trophy human..lol they eat rest sleep travel.. .
    Put your spotting scope at 20x..glass for a bit..then crank it to 60x notice every minute shake is amplified..and thats on a tripod.
    Same difference from 8x to 10 power...and you can glass 10 hrs dsy for 14 days and bot have movement? Tremors...blood and bone, mne4ves and tendons ligiments..we al shake t8o various degrees.pretty good spotter, d8nt mind 10 hr days..been doing this since late teens..58 now wouldnt care to guess how many years spent behind binos and spötting scope...especially glad for spotting xscopes
    Srupp

8.5 x 42 swarovision for me. Nice to glass with and if I need extra distance I might as well put the 4lb 20-60x swaro spotter to work that I carry around. 2 rams fell victim to that logic this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    Also a virgin sheep hunter, but goats taught me 10x for sure. Also I'm revising all my optics, and gear for sheep hunting. I'm over 50mm I'm going for 40mm and under.. The smaller the lighter! The lighter the more ground you can cover, the more ground you cover, the more dead rams!
    I generally abide by this, but experience has taught me not to save weight with your optics. Look else where like your food, sleeping system,or the extra 5 lbs your are carrying around on your gut . If your going to be carrying a spotter carry one that will do you some good, the small compact just don't cut it IMHO. Binocs go with the 10x with a the best weight to field of view you can find. Just my 2 cents. QK

I recently purchased a pair of swarovski 15 x 56 that i use on a tripod, they work very well for certain applications . I still use my 10 x 42 EL and spotter for other applications

Is there a difference between Swaro EL 10x42 and the Swarovision 10x42? Do all EL models have Swarovision? I sometimes see "EL" and "Swarovision" interchanged and am not sure what the difference is or if there is a difference.

Also, how is the range finder on the Swaro EL Range models? It would be nice to not have a separate range finder. Are the optics similar to EL (or Swarovision)?

Hmmm Kiss principle..get the best optics..then the best rangefinder..rangefinder fails..4 months to Europe and return.. binos rarely fail add a bunch of electronics..
    Steven

I probably could've done a poll with this topic!

So far, 10X has 15 recommendations and 8X has 10. Themes seem to be to be mostly about acquiring get good quality 8X optics which will save on eye strain. 10X works better for old eyes and the sheep/goat hunters appear to really lean towards this. There is a comment that guides tend to gravitate towards good quality 8x. And make sure you have a good quality spotting scope (which I do). Great comments so far. Look forward to more.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

if you don't mind a little extra gear...bog pods make a nice tripod, for shooting, and an adapter for bino, that make them work like a spotting scope.