Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Brambles 2015 kootenay lake fishing log

Re: Brambles 2015 kootenay lake fishing log

Fished hard all day had 4 rods out and didnt get a bump all day, only heard on the radio a few being caught. Good to assume that they DIDN'T feed today!!

heard on the radio that a property owner along the lake seen a bunch of seagulls feeding on something on the beach, went over and seen a bunch of dead 3"-4" rainbow minnows. There is talk that concerned residents are going to send them to a private lab for testing because they don't think the government either cares, knows or telling the whole truth!
    Last edited by Brambles; 01-25-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

We went out from Kuskanook this morning and fished for 6 hours or so with three of us. Dead flat calm and got really foggy. Lost a 4 or 4.5 lb bull trout by the boat on a cop-car-ish apex with 4 ounces of weight, and had one small fish hit and get off the lyman 16 on the surface. The bull trout looked like it was in o.k. shape. My favorite flasher/ hootchie combos had no hits, tried all sorts of depths. We had to use the chartplotter to get back to the harbour as well. Couldn't see the dock 200m away.

What speed u get your hits at?

we tried from 1.7 mph- 2.6 mph even worked down to 220 ft but nothing, by the sounds of it the majority of the fish strikes today were lost, which tells me those strikes weren't because they were feeding but curious or pissed off!
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

Brambles I recognize those planer boards from today, you trolling just south of the ferry crossing around the big rubber floats?
    We fished 12 hrs the last two days with only one strike on a grey ghost off the board, tripped the clip but no hookup. Tough fishing, yesterday with the chop the gear seemed to be working well but maybe we were trolling to fast. We were more around 2.5-3mph. Talked to locals at Woodbury, one small Dollie came in last two days. They were grilling us on info for fishing kinbasket lake, they're tired of the poor fishing! Was a fun wet camping trip, the hot springs were great. Think I'll stick to the arrows until Kootenay picks back up.

You must have been in the Campoin explorer walk around? Yes that was us circling that orange bouy!

i think we're gonna try other lakes in a couple weeks. I'll still fish kootenay because my boat is moored there but my other buddies have boats we can pull to check out Arrow and Slocan!
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

Those planers I built so they can be run in all types of waters e at any speed, not sure if we had that starboard board running upside down or not when u went past but I can get em to hop at 1.8 mph and dead calm!
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

Haha right on, that's my explorer...
    I'd definitely be mooring my boat and soaking the gear on a regular basis if I lived there. Just a bit far for me to travel. I'll let you know if I run into anything in the arrows.
    Cheers

My boards didn't want to jump much under 2.5mph, I rigged em to pull from closer to the middle as opposed to the front and helped a bit. Need to get em working at slower speeds. Had good luck at 3mph in the summer but fish are more active then I think...

Yeah the water temp is 10-15 degrees cooler than their optimum feeding temp and 25-30 degrees cooler than summer! Causes their metabolism to slow down, they move less and feed less........that's winter fishing for yah!, I caught fish up to 3.3 mph last year in the summer, but lots in that 2.6-2.8 when running flashers in the summer!
    our big one last February was 2-2.2 mph on a billy 199ft back off the boat so that's approx 25 ft down I figure
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

sorry, can't read
    Last edited by btridge; 01-25-2015 at 10:14 PM.