Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: hunting with ear plugs

Re: hunting with ear plugs

I just use foam ear plugs, I keep them in a certain pocket that way I'm not looking for them when I need them. Sometimes I keep one in my left ear if I think I'm close to shooting. If I'm at a stand then I will put one or both in, if its windy and I can't hear anything I just put them both in.
    I find I can relax better when shooting probably because I always use plugs and muffs when shooting at the range.

Since I need to have good hearing for employment I have a set of noise cancelling ear muffs tucked on my binoculars straps. Takes a couple seconds to put on and your ears will thank you later...I practiced for a while to get used to the process. Will not shoot without them.

I wear this type around my neck, only takes a split second to put them in...

Enlarge

It only takes once. Many many examples of folks who were fine - until the one time they weren't. I have also seen accounts of folks with permanent damage from one loud bang - including gunfire.

That being said, if I'm bird hunting I shoot without protection most of the time because there's simply no time to put in ear plugs.

I have not had an issue with my un-braked .270 that I use for a bush gun (timber hunting mostly) or a truck gun (if I’m cruising roads which doesn’t happen often). My braked 6.5 SAUM however has caused some serious ringing in my left ear when I shot a nice 3 point blacktail from 408 yards. Since then I ALWAYS pack earplugs when hunting with my 6.5 and keep one in my left ear. If I have the time I insert the one for right ear but that hasn’t happened yet😊

In the past I did not wear hearing protection while big game hunting, but I am going to start this season. Especially now that I’m moving away from road hunting towards more spot and stalk/ hiking.

I got a pair of electronic earmuffs last summer and wore them while duck hunting this past season. I found that I could hear the waterfowl as well with them on as I could without (if not, slightly better).

I’ve a nearly constant mild ringing in both of my ears and I’m only 26.
    Quite frankly, I don’t know if I have the discipline of the chap in the post about his first blacktail, but I’d like to get there.
    Hearing is precious, and there are options to protect it while still enjoying hunting.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Duck hunting yes. Otherwise no. I'm not gonna bother when I take like 3 shots a season if I'm lucky. Lol

So far no.. but I think that's just because I'm still young and dumb..haha Not to mention inexperienced. I've only gotten 3 big game animals so far in my hunting career and the last thing I'm thinking about is hearing protection. I'm still at that stage where buck fever has me shaking to my toes and it's just not something that I think about. Honestly, afterwards when I'm describing it to people I don't even remember "hearing" the gunshot if that makes sense. Stupid adrenaline. When I'm at the range though, 100%. It is something I'm going to try and make a point of doing in the future while hunting but only when a shot opportunity opens up. I've discovered a lot of animals by hearing alone and I don't want that sense being muted by ear protection (or hearing loss).

I should probably start, but I don't unless at the range. First animal (black bear) I ever shot was with an braked 300 wm without ear pro. Forgot to put the earpro on before pulling the trigger (around my neck). I actually felt shell shocked after because I wasn't expecting that loud of a bang (was new to larger caliber guns too). Hilarious and yet scary experience. Buddy asked me what happened and I just said "the bear just dropped". I pulled the trigger and he was gone. Sure enough, he didn't move. But the rattling in my head had me second guessing myself for a bit.

I wear these Howard Leight electronic muffs, they do a good job of magnifying sound you want to hear while cutting out the gun shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Howard-Leight-Earmuffs.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	7733