Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Re: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Quote Originally Posted by yama49 View Post
    Did you read the story, it says he broke his foot, and couldn't make it back to base camp
    yeah so?
    what are you saying?

i was making a statement in general about carrying a spot.
    it wasn't refering to these guys being lost.

the first paragraph was about the benefits of carrying a spot.
    the second paragraph was about these hunters being well-prepared.

guess you misread it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    You're on a roll duallie, each time you open your mouth on here "stupid" just falls right out.
    was that really a necessary comment?
    or do you just say shit to bully people and make yourself look better?

is that how it works here, member-bashing?

I carry a spot sheep hunting. Great peace of mind.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

My hunting partner and I both carried Spots the last two trips. We both enable the Track feature as it allows those back home (read wives) to know where we are and that we are still moving. Either of our wives can access our accounts anytime and see precisely where we last were. If we have a camp day I usually just turn it on and send an OK message. If we had to spend the night out on a mountain everybody would know we were still Ok especially if the guys in camp used the SAT phone to call town and request our locations.

I'd say anybody who doesn't use a SPOT now is truly not thinking of anybody but themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    Yeah but Mr. Duallie is perfect remember and he doesn't make any mistakes. So even if he had broken his foot, he wouldn't have got lost.

I am so glad that everything worked out for them. I bought a SPOT for my husband when he is out sledding, i am now going to buy one for me for when I go out.
    read twice before commenting maybe.
    i never said that they were lost.
    being lost was about the importance of having a spot when out in the bush.
    i said that they were well-prepared.

and no, even if i broke my foot, i wouldn't be lost.
    because i carry a gps and spot all the time.
    like them, i'd be able to call for help.

maybe concentrate on fighting with anti-hunting groups and not other hunters.

One more peice of equipment.

Would be nice if the SPOT was built into a garmin gps, frs radio, and 8mp camera all in one. Hell, make it a headlamp too!

I’ll add to the suggestions.

When I go on a multi day backpack trip I use the spot in various ways:
    - one ok message at least in the morning and evening and if I remember and time allows one during the day
    - if I have to cross a creek or river I send one prior and about 500 yards after
    - when I’m hiking in and out I send some Ok often so my contacts can monitor my progress
    - this year I had tags for 4 species in the mountains and in the event I harvested something I let them know by
    o 3 ok message in 5 minutes = a sheep down
    o 4 ok message in 5 minutes = a grizzly down

o 5 ok message in 5 minutes = a goat or a moose depending where I’m located (I told them to use some common sense)
    - 3 help in 5 minutes and often = I need to be rescued but it’s not critical, call a chopper and I’ll pay the bill (I can't think of a reason for that but in the event I need it my main rescue person knows what to do because I can't talk to him)

I don’t use the tracking option but sending often some ok message works fine.
    Shoot straight or eat track soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    One more peice of equipment.

Would be nice if the SPOT was built into a garmin gps, frs radio, and 8mp camera all in one. Hell, make it a headlamp too!
    I like Garmin gps so I can't wait for them to make a gps with a SPOT concept and something with two way short text message. That would be awesome!!!!
    Shoot straight or eat track soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Call of the Wild View Post
    I like Garmin gps so I can't wait for them to make a gps with a SPOT concept and something with two way short text message. That would be awesome!!!!
    How about a beacon, GPS, and satellite phone/text capable? It will happen I'm sure
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Last time I was out and used my spot to send OK messages I checked in with my two kids and wife and none had checked their email when the phone said I had sent a message. To say I was a little choked is an understatement. I said what if I had sent the help message? I would still be sitting in the bush expecting someone to come get me.

The system only works if those you are sending a message to actually pay attention. At least if I hit the 911 button someone is monitoring it.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!