Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Region 8 Mule deer

Re: Region 8 Mule deer

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    You’d be surprised at the number of deer that don’t spend their time on traditional winter range. Was flying for mulies recently and the amount of deer still up at tree line was considerably higher than low-mid elevation.
    I believe you there are two groups .Some winter up high on the wind blown south slopes.and in the tree pockets .Keeping in mind they can move up or down as they desire .I saw bucks rutting down at lower elevations that i saw earlier in the year in the alpine over 30 kms away .The low snow pack last year in point ,friends that sled in the alpine noted a lot more deer wintering up high on the wind blown slopes .

When we have a deep snow like we do now and the temps get above freezing the snow melts, then freezes and is hard on their legs, so deer like to hang out at higher elevations where it wont thaw/freeze, higher ridges with big fir.

Did you get a buck this year GEF?
    what time of year?

'so deer like to hang out at higher elevations where it wont thaw/freeze, higher ridges with big fir.'

There are a few of those still around
    Play areas for the snowbikes
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    I believe you there are two groups .Some winter up high on the wind blown south slopes.and in the tree pockets .Keeping in mind they can move up or down as they desire .I saw bucks rutting down at lower elevations that i saw earlier in the year in the alpine over 30 kms away .The low snow pack last year in point ,friends that sled in the alpine noted a lot more deer wintering up high on the wind blown slopes .
    Lot less wolf's up in the high country . Fingers crossed they stay away .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Did you get a buck this year GEF?
    what time of year?
    I caved and shot a nice one in Oct in the alpine, over two feet of snow and around 7000 feet I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    You’d be surprised at the number of deer that don’t spend their time on traditional winter range. Was flying for mulies recently and the amount of deer still up at tree line was considerably higher than low-mid elevation.
    Cool good to know! I wonder if they all rut up high or come down? They must come down by the time things start to green up lower as well you'd think???

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    I caved and shot a nice one in Oct in the alpine, over two feet of snow and around 7000 feet I believe.

That's a wicked buck.