Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

Re: Guide Outfitters in for a tough season

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Would you go to work for a percentage of your pay cheque just to be a nice guy? This country needs support from its citizens, not the ideas that hinge on a welfare image.
    In any business, as the business climate changes, that business needs to adapt to the new reality and adjust accordingly. Relying on the same customer support as a business is hurting, just to be nice, is a recipe for failure.

The consumer driven economy is NOT predicated on “being nice.” It’s predicated on consumers getting the most return for their dollar.

This is a simple reality and those businesses that don’t see this will ultimately fail.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Would you go to work for a percentage of your pay cheque just to be a nice guy? This country needs support from its citizens, not the ideas that hinge on a welfare image.
    If it meant feeding my family or being out of work, you're damn right I would swallow my pride.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

All tourism businesses are probably going to be making concessions to attract business. Hotels will drop room rates for example. Destination vacation spots that rely on international tourism (like Whistler or Tofino) will market themselves to more localized tourists if there is no international clientele.

Outfitters may also change their model from expensive international client based hunts to lower price point Canadian resident hunts. Or they may not. It probably depends on the individual outfitter and how much room they have to move on their price, how their allocations are factored into a multi year and if they can reduce costs by cutting out some services to make a lower priced hunt more affordable.

Like many industries, different solutions will make sense to different individual businesses.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

^The irony for Whistler (Vail) is their entire strategy has been predicated on discouraging LML skiers and day trippers from out side the immediate Sea-to-Sky corridor and growing their higher margin international clientele. This has meant pushing skiers towards their more expensive all resort pass and reducing options for BCers in terms of shorter term passes. I was initially pretty happy/impressed when I learned they had refunded 80% of our Edge Card value for this season to be put towards next year's pass as the resort closed before we could use it all. Then I found out that Vail had eliminated the 13-18 age category and now 13 year olds pay the same as adults. So that blows a hole in the 80% refund, reducing this to something like 40% when factoring in the pass hike. Think they have a long way to go to recapturing the goodwill they have squandered since the takeover. That said, with options for locals limited in terms of travel perhaps that will help bail them out. If we hit another bad fire season, however, that would be miserable for all.

Local (LML) traffic comprises a large degree of summer business in Whistler, although obviously there is plenty of international tourism too. Lots of Europeans in rental RV"s cruising Alberta and BC as well as regular tourists. With LML people essentially trapped in BC for the next month or two, hopefully they will make up for the lack of international clients to a certain degree. Summer people often don't care about what Vail does for ski passes but when winter rolls around Vail better have a better plan than what they have been doing the last few years. Whistler in general really needs to rethink things, even wealthy tourists are complaining it's been getting too expensive. Commercial property values tends to drive this. It's easy for a medium/large restaurant or pub in the village to be paying $30-40K per month in rent.

Sounds like things are going to be opening up in Whistler in a wee or two, I expect hotel rates to be very competitive.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    If it meant feeding my family or being out of work, you're damn right I would swallow my pride.
    Absolutely, a person would have to be pretty stubborn to earn zero dollars instead of offering a sale.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I think they have already laid their chips on the table with regard to the coming winter season and have assumed it will be business as usual (ie screw the LML contingent). It likely will not be as, regardless of the circumstances, people will still be wary of travelling.

This rarely seen footage of one prominent European tourist demonstrates just how patience with Vail has been wearing thin for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3QmiFfLkWw

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    You are in a very small minority Sir, my hat is off to you.

How things rebound for tourism is going to have a lot to do with when the borders open to international travel, and that is going to have a lot to do with what countries do or do not have rampant Covid-19 issues. As we all know, the whole world is not on the same timeline with the disease. Then there is the issue with flair-ups that occur....and you can bet there will be some...and the ever present threat of a second wave. All you have to do is look at the Excited States and what is happening down there. The next month will tell us a lot about where things are headed.

And let's not forget about the airlines. When things loosen up and international flights return, it won't look anything like it was prior to this mess. Many are predicting that much of the global population will be slow to get back on the international travel bandwagon, and there is much speculation of a big increase in the cost of tickets due to the reconfiguring of passenger seating, etc.

Personally I do not see things bouncing back too quickly, especially since much of this years tourist season will be a total write off. Much is in the air with outfitting this coming fall and there will have to be some very encouraging signs in the very near future that fall hunts will be possible before outfitters are going to drop a bunch of coin on opening their areas and camps to be ready for fall hunters. Realistically the fall season is already a write off for many reasons, even if things did open later in the summer. When one factors in changes to charter flights and how they can transport supplies and people, the 14 day quarantine periods if they remain, rounding up employees to replace those lost during the down time to other jobs, clients who have made other plans or become unemployed, etc., etc. The more remote an outfitting area is the more difficult it will be to pull it off...if it even becomes an option, and right now that is a big if.

Who cares , hope they all go broke. But they won’t ,cause the rich Americans that own most high end outfits have extremely deep pockets.
    Last edited by stan; 05-25-2020 at 03:10 PM.