Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaky Lowas

Re: Leaky Lowas

I have Renegades as well and have never had an issue with them but they are built completely different and imo not comparable. I wear my renegades when I don't have a heavy pack and I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    My Lowa Tibet GTX are still going strong 6 years later, with nothing more than regular cleaning and conditioning. I prefer a beeswax based product. Lots of time in mountain talus, snow, dry Okanagan dust and wet fall moose hunting conditions. My last trip was GPS tracked at 96 kms hiked over a week, rained every day. My feet were dry the entire time, and boots still look great.
    Can you elaborate on your regular cleaning and conditioning for me just cause either I'm doing it wrong or there is an issue with this pair. Which beeswax product are you using, about how often and how are you cleaning your boots. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Looks like the LEATHER is dried out ? Those boots Look 10 years OLD ! I like OBENAUF'S leather oil - jmo RJ
    I know they do. The boots were wet for the photo but the cracking looks like that and I'm using their products as instructed. To me it is bizarre! One year total on them and yes I hike a fair amount but not anymore than any backpacker.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Save the money you'd spend on wax for a new pair. My Lowa Tibet's were the worst boots I ever owned. They dried out incredibly fast, warped, shrunk, cracked and barely lasted one season, and I didn't even use them much that year.

Use some olive oil to restore some moisture to the leather.

What size feet do you have?
    My feet are only a size 8 womens

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    clean them up as best you can. Find some Mendel sport wax heat up your boots and melt it in ... use lots until it won’t absorb any more wax. Set aside to set up then buff with a dry clean cloth. My lowas were poorly built as well only lasted a few seasons. The big thing is to keep mud off leather nothing will destroy leather faster than that.
    Thank you I will see where I can find some of this product. Last september my feet were soaked on day 1 for a multi day trip, I should have returned them then. I will give this a try and hopefully salvage them because they are still comfortable.

One of my favorite answers to a footwear question.

"What the best waterproof leather boot?"

"No such thing...."

My first boots were Danner Canadians high tops. They were excellent but made 18 years ago. My buddy bought a pair 5 years ago and they were crap and leaked right away

I switched to hanwags, been moderately pleased with them. The leak at times but I have just learned to live with it. I carry soft style waterproof socks that help when needed. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    Can you elaborate on your regular cleaning and conditioning for me just cause either I'm doing it wrong or there is an issue with this pair. Which beeswax product are you using, about how often and how are you cleaning your boots. Thank you
    I just wipe the mud and dust off with a damp cloth, ensuring to get under the laces (remove if necessary). I do this any time they are dirty and being put away for a while. Storing boots caked in mud can suck the moisture out of leather.

Currently using Moneysworth&Best Snowguard boot protector, I think I bought it at Mark’s. It’s important to clean and dry, then heat the leather prior to applying in order to maximize absorption.

The worst thing for boots is to store them filthy and wet.
    Last edited by Krico; 04-29-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    Twist and pull.

i've had Lowa Tibet boots since 2017. They are holding up ok.
    I had wet feet only twice, and both times i'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just my pants/socks wicking the moisture up and then into the boot.
    I say that because both times it happened the conditions weren't as wet as some other times where my feet were remained completely dry.

Ive used Lowa Tibets for 7-8 years, i clean them with saddle soap then once dry use Dayton Boots OK oil to condition leather and dubbin with hair dryer to get waterproofed. never had an issue and other than the soles being nearly worn out the leather looks brand new. that said i do take pretty meticulous care of them but it certainly pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    i've had Lowa Tibet boots since 2017. They are holding up ok.
    I had wet feet only twice, and both times i'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just my pants/socks wicking the moisture up and then into the boot.
    I say that because both times it happened the conditions weren't as wet as some other times where my feet were remained completely dry.
    What do you do to the boots to keep them happy the last 2 seasons? Thanks