Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reply to my email to my MLA

Reply to my email to my MLA

Hi Michel,

Thanks for copying me on your email to Minister Thomson.

The BC Liberals’ latest changes to hunting allocation policy were supposed to resolve a number of key issues facing hunters in British Columbia. Unfortunately it does exactly the opposite, and hunters will suffer for it.

First, every hunter knows that decisions about hunting allocation policy must start with good science. But over the past decade, the BC Liberals’ repeated budget cuts have curtailed much-needed, on-the-ground research and forced wildlife managers to make important decisions in the dark. While the new allocation policy could increase the harvest rate, it will not increase the resources needed to make informed management decisions.

Second, BC hunters engaged with government in what they thought was a genuine discussion about how best to improve hunting opportunities for resident hunters, guide outfitters and their clients. Instead, the BC Liberals largely ignored the input provided by thousands of rank-and-file hunters and made their own decisions with little or no explanation of the reasons or consequences.

New Democrats believe that BC’s resources should be for the use and benefit of British Columbians first, understanding that the guide outfitters sector must have a place in the conversation. We also recognize that resident hunters make a significant contribution to BC’s rural economy and way of life. For instance, many businesses make a living by supporting outdoor recreation and hunting, and resident hunters feed their families with BC game and often contribute to wildlife conservation activities.

And conservation is sorely lacking from this government. Many official reports from the Forest Practices Board and the BC Auditor General have confirmed that the BC Liberals have abandoned the government’s duty to manage our land base. The Mount Polley tailings pond breach and the timber supply crisis remind us of the sometimes tragic results.

In the case of the grizzly bear hunt, last year scientists from three BC universities showed that the BC Liberal government doesn’t have the data about grizzly bear populations that are necessary to make informed decisions about the hunt. Good management and sustainable harvesting must start from good science. But good science and good management principles are exactly what are missing from the BC Liberal government.

New Democrats recognize that the only successful hunting allocation policy is one that has buy-in for a wide variety of hunter groups including the BC Wildlife Federation, and the Guide Outfitters Association. We recognize that allocation decisions must be based on good science and inventory data and must reflect the needs of hunters from across BC.

We believe that hunters must be part of the solutions and cannot be dismissed because key cabinet ministers think they are politically ineffective.

Best regards,

Shane.

Shane Simpson | MLA Vancouver Hastings
    2365 E. Hastings St. Vancouver BC V5L 1V6 |604-775-2277 | shanesimpson.ca

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Reply to my email to my MLA

Thanks for posting his reply.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

At least he wrote back. Even if it was just a thinly veiled political ad. I don't like it when they treat you like you're so dumb you can't see blatant pandering and political manoeuvering. Not that I'm any sort of BC Liberal fan. Politics just makes me shake my head.
    "Dave's a killer"

"Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun!"

Can we see a copy of your letter please. I'm writing one too and could use an example.
    Thanks
    Posted by .330 Dakota http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/sha...post-right.png
    Awesome,,,if we have to put up with the #@$! treehuggers then they can put up with us

Well at least he sounds empathetic at the beginning of his letter.
    I take it he is an NDP MLA.

Interesting statement about the Grizzly hunt at the end.
    I'm left to speculate if the NDP mandate is to end Grizzly hunting.
    Contrary to his statement, I thought Grizzly were actually very well managed in BC.

Thanks for making some noise MichelD
    Posted by .330 Dakota http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/sha...post-right.png
    Awesome,,,if we have to put up with the #@$! treehuggers then they can put up with us

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Considering how long the response was its surprising he didn't actually say anything about how he or the NDP will try to resolve the issue facing residents. Whilst I agree we need more government spending on wildlife, that is totally irrelevant to the problem at hand.

I wrote a grovelling letter to my NDP MLA this week, hope I get a more pragmatic reply.

Thanks for sharing his reply. Predictably though, its a series of shots at the Liberals with no explanation of how his NDP would do it better.
    Taking devil's advocacy just a little too far?

Personally, as much as I despise the Liberals, as a hunter, I would be very cautious about getting into bed with the NDP. Their grassroots support does not come from the hunting community, but rather the anti-hunting community. They will betray you.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I got pretty much the same thing from Minister Harry Bains here in Surrey, Newton.
    Going to send an e-mail to the Minister responsible next.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Personally, as much as I despise the Liberals, as a hunter, I would be very cautious about getting into bed with the NDP. Their grassroots support does not come from the hunting community, but rather the anti-hunting community. They will betray you.
    So who is it that has created this latest mess? The question to you is not to suggest that NDP support is the answer. It's no secret that a large segment of the NDP opposes specific hunting activities, but the response puts him in the crosshairs. Use it. He says that the decisions must be based on science. I agree. So if part of that science funding that he talks about were to be provided should the NDP be in charge and it shows that a grizzly hunt for example is sustainable then by his own words that should be enough to support it.