Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Cam Suggestions

Re: Trail Cam Suggestions

I've never had any issues at cold temperatures. I started off running the moultries. I liked the C batteries. I was really hesitant to move to the AA battery models.

The Moultries still work but, I've converted to the Browning cams and they are superior to most of the others. They go on sale enough that they aren't a bad price. Better quality, faster wake up time (0.4 sec I believe). The AA's run well in the cold. Most of all, the cams are lighter and the quality of picture at dusk, is better.

I just want to make one more comment on trail cams. When yours comes with a strap to mount it on the tree, take that strap and find another use for it. Everyone, use bailing wire to attach your camera to the trees. You won't regret it. Less visible toward theft, more secure on the tree, animals won't bump it around, less scent on the wire than on the wide strap that spent the off season with your gear.

And I take my cameras and repaint them to more closely match the bark on the trees I typically use. A lot of the browning cams come in a bit a grey tone. I paint them dark brown and black with a bit of dark green.

Some of my cheaper cams lock up if i remove the SD card, read it, then reinstall it.
    Now i just always carry SDs and format a new one using the camera itself.

I've run Spypoint, Stealthcam and Moultrie trail cameras and have had better luck with the Spypoint and Moultrie cameras (even the cheaper ones that always go on sale at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire). Most of my hunting to date has been done in Alberta and the cameras seem to hold up in the cold just fine. The biggest challenge is keep snow from piling up in the lenses.

I run the stealth cam buy them in the 2 or 3 pack. I they work well until it gets really cold. I have read going to a lithium battery can help in cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    No one is arguing you can't get some decent pics if that's all you're after. How many of those cams do you leave out year round? - I know the answer.

Yes we have compared cameras - Ourea has probably compared more cams than anyone on this site and I know what he will say. I have compared numerous entry level models side by side with mid-higher range ones and that is why I switched.

Most guys don't have the time to effectively run 6 cams, let alone twice that. Even with the best intentions, a lot of cameras spend more time on the shelf than they do in the field. Much rather run something reliable at a little more cost. With the competition among companies, a guy doesn't need to break the bank to purchase quality.

Guys are no doubt missing a lot more with those cameras than they know. If you don't mind sacrificing that to save a few dollars then $75 Amazon cams are the way to go.

This is not a knock, but you're relatively new to the game. I remember you saying the same thing about backpacks. Then you went and bought a SG.
    - "I know the answer" .... and what is that? if it's "all of them" you'd be right. A cam on the shelf is a useless cam. Why wouldn't i have them out year round?
    - Yeah, but WHICH cheap cams have you compared? The point of my post was to point out that the inexpensive Amazon cams have been head and shoulders better than the inexpensive StealthCams. Light years ahead of them.
    - well, show us the difference from your comparison then ..... i would love to see what constitutes "a lot" when comparing what the cheaper cams missed compared to the more expensive ones. I'm not doubting you, i'm just unclear on your definition of "a lot".
    - I never knocked the high end packs, just their price .... that $900 for a backpack was absolutely insane. So i bought mine used at half the price. After 6 bucks and numerous backpack trips still don't think $900 is justifiable at all.
    - I might be new to the trail cam game, but two years is a decent amount of time to figure out it out. It's not that hard or complicated.

Tell ya what ... why don't I mail you an Amazon cam and you run it on the same tree, 6" above your best cam for a few months and we compare the footage. We'll let HBC decide if the difference in captured footage is "a lot" or not. I have a feeling it might not be as off as you think.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 01-10-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    - "I know the answer" .... and what is that? if it's "all of them" you'd be right. A cam on the shelf is a useless cam. Why wouldn't i have them out year round?
    - Yeah, but WHICH cheap cams have you compared? The point of my post was to point out that the inexpensive Amazon cams have been head and shoulders better than the inexpensive StealthCams. Light years ahead of them.
    - well, show us the difference from your comparison then ..... i would love to see what constitutes "a lot" when comparing what the cheaper cams missed compared to the more expensive ones. I'm not doubting you, i'm just unclear on your definition of "a lot".
    - I never knocked the high end packs, just their price .... that $900 for a backpack was absolutely insane. So i bought mine used at half the price. After 6 bucks and numerous backpack trips still don't think $900 is justifiable at all.
    - I might be new to the trail cam game, but two years is a decent amount of time to figure out it out. It's not that hard or complicated.

Tell ya what ... why don't I mail you an Amazon cam and you run it on the same tree, 6" above your best cam for a few months and we compare the footage. We'll let HBC decide if the difference in captured footage is "a lot" or not. I have a feeling it might not be as off as you think.
    Ok you have me curious what brand/model of Chinese amazon cams are you talking about?

May need to add some to my collection and retire some of my old relics lol

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I run the stealth cam buy them in the 2 or 3 pack. I they work well until it gets really cold. I have read going to a lithium battery can help in cold weather
    This will make a big difference in battery life/function of the camera

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Moultrie, Tasco, WI, Stealth cams just to name a couple. One of my hunting partners tried out a set of those $75 Amazon cams on his property this fall as he has a very large parcel with numerous species passing through. They were basically useless when compared side by side to what we normally run. Even worse when temps dropped into the double digits.

Have done the trail cam thing for a lonnnng time and done enough comparisons to know what is crap and what isn't. I think it's important to pass those findings along when folks are asking for advice and not being given accurate information. There is a difference between what you're peddling and a few of the cameras and models mentioned previously. That difference is significant while the cost is not.

There are models in both Browning and Bushnell that are very reasonably priced. As JT said, they go on sale pretty regularly as well.

Hopefully the OP is finding the discussion useful. His goals for the camera will ultimately decide what he ends up buying.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I am enjoying and appreciating all the information!
    Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. (Job 14:1 KJV)

Where is everyone buying Bushnell and Browning cams for $120?
    On Cabela's the cheapest browning is $170 and they don't even seem to carry Bushnell.
    Cheapest SpyPoint is also $170.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 01-10-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    There is a difference between what you're peddling and a few of the cameras and models mentioned previously. That difference is significant while the cost is not.
    When one cam costs $120 and another HALF that, yes, that IS significant cost difference.

Had mine out for several months, captured over 460 videos ... how is that useless? Maybe he just has sh*t cams. Not all amazon cams are the same.

For (i don't even know which time now) no one is saying a $75 dollar cam will be better than a 150 dollar cam.

Obviously you have your way of running cams and we have ours. OP should know both approaches and the price involved in both and make up his mind with that.
    I'm not peddling the cams to make money here .... just showing what CAN work on a budget and that not everyone needs to go out and drop a grand on cameras to photograph some deer.

it's like telling a guy his 1995 Ford F150 is crap because it's slow and bad on fuel and doesn't have a heated steering wheel and you drove both it and the 2019 and the 1995 one was just useless ...... well ..... no. He drives the 1995 because he wants to, because it works for him and because it gets the job done.