Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: just found this about wild bore

Re: just found this about wild bore

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Hey wildcatter, Where in the Cariboo are you from. I am headed to Lac La Hache in may or June. I could try to bring a sample if theres some left by then. The meat is very lean, i was hoping it would have had more fat on it. I mixed it with my Elk from this fall . PM me closer to this time period .
    Im going to to try and brine the Hams and cook them whole.

Hey Springer, I'm in Forest Grove, 20 minutes off HWY 97 but I could meet you in 100 Mile House.
    You could smoke the hams instead of cooking, they should be really good.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    The so called "wild boars" in Canada are domestic pigs went feral.
    Whereas in Europe they been around probably more than a thousand years.
    Although they do some damage to farms once in a while, they seem to manage them fairly well.
    The best smoked suasage I ever had was made from wildboar and they are good to cook just about every way.
    yup, there is a difference, although both version can be very destructive.
    And yes, they are managed very well in Europe, and anyone holding a hunting area permit (remember, mostly private property),
    HAS TO take X Amount of certain Species each year and failure ot do so will end up in them losing that area and it given to another.

Big difference there is that there is a good working relation between hunter and farmer in Europe to make opportunities happen and its a win win
    for both parties.
    Not really the case here quite often.
    Over there, there is an acceptance of the situation.
    Over here, one group would like to see no creature on their fields...ever!
    Sort of explains 1 of many issues here in BC.

Remember though, boar are not indigenous here.
    But, they are one of the few species that can adapt well, breed like rabbits, and maintain a high population if one wanted to have something to hunt.
    Ying and yang.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    And yes, they are managed very well in Europe, and anyone holding a hunting area permit (remember, mostly private property),
    HAS TO take X Amount of certain Species each year and failure ot do so will end up in them losing that area and it given to another.

Big difference there is that there is a good working relation between hunter and farmer in Europe to make opportunities happen and its a win win
    for both parties.

But, they are one of the few species that can adapt well, breed like rabbits, and maintain a high population if one wanted to have something to hunt.
    Ying and yang.
    You are pretty well right about everything.
    The difference I was thinking between the ones here and in Europe is they are not
    so wild here and I'm thinking the taste of the meat is not like the European ones.

In Europe they are part of culture for centuries, hence the acceptance is more favourable
    and for sure the farmers and hunting clubs that manage certain areas, work together.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Springer,

Was this a fenced "hunt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

for both parties.

Ying and yang.
    My father in law was the head forester in his region of southern Germany for a couple of decades. Part of his daily routine was hunting boar with his Dachshunds. The difference in the way forests and lands are managed is massive. They definitely have their stuff figured out over there, but then they also don’t have any FN BS, and are missing a few key things in the eco system, such as predators so they really need to be on it with management.

Their house (came with the job) had literally centuries worth of mounts on the walls. It was almost too much in some rooms! You’d go out to the wood shed and there would be pails and pails full of legs. Incidentally, he started out his career with a forestry degree from UBC in the late 60s. Unfortunately I never got to hunt with him, but that’s probably just as well. He was a complete ass, and there might have been an “accident”
    Last edited by Redthies; 01-30-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Feral pigs in Saskatchewan are a somewhat variable cross between European wild boar and domestic pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    My father in law was the head forester in his region of southern Germany for a couple of decades. Part of his daily routine was hunting boar with his Dachshunds. The difference in the way forests and lands are managed is massive. They definitely have their stuff figured out over there, but then they also don’t have any FN BS, and are missing a few key things in the eco system, such as predators so they really need to be on it with management.

Their house (came with the job) had literally centuries worth of mounts on the walls. It was almost too much in some rooms! You’d go out to the wood shed and there would be pails and pails full of legs. Incidentally, he started out his career with a forestry degree from UBC in the late 60s. Unfortunately I never got to hunt with him, but that’s probably just as well. He was a complete ass, and there might have been an “accident”
    LOL....i hear ya.
    I did get the opportunity to hunt there twice and both times had success.
    And yes, they don't have all the other BS we have here.
    There are a lot of negative factors here in BC which have accumulated to our sad state of affairs.
    Definitely simpler and better managed there for sure.

But hunting at night under full moon and no spotlights flashlights allowed makes for a different hunt for sure.
    Always glad i had the opportunity.
    And damn tasty too.

Wild boar drive by shooting in Australian Outback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqf1EPRLDls
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

That was a fun video. Can only dream of that here.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by 2stroked View Post
    Where on Nazko Hwy. I have never seen or heard of them there
    I saw one in the back of a guys trailer at Sylvia's last fall. He shot it around the 46 board on the Kluskus road. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.
    It was huge too.

Apparently a bunch got loose from a guy trying to pig farm at Hidden lake