Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging Trucks a public danger

Re: Logging Trucks a public danger

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
    Going 60km/hr in a empty pickup cant stop in 2 vehicle lengths but yet the ignorant public expects loaded trucks to stop and get out of the way. Hahaha ya right. See you in the ditch

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    He just told you that he can’t make it stop in 2 truck lengths x 105’. You obviously don’t know anything about these trucks. The extreme weight isn’t conducive to stopping on a dime no matter how many brakes they have. Highway trucks aren’t any different. Everyone should have to ride with a truck driver for a day just for the first hand experience before getting a license.
    Lol yup...I drive a loaded dump truck occasionally at work and my biggest piss off is when pulling up to a red light and you've calculated your stopping distance and all of a sudden some ass hat cuts in front of you and expects you to just stop...I couldn't imagine that scenario with a much heavier rig...

I drive gravel truck something chip van in oil/gas industry up north and I’ll say there’s bad drivers on both sides. I don’t know how many times I’ve warned others about pickups without radios, it’s the courteous thing to do which most truckers are, they don’t make money sitting on the side of the road after smashing into a hunter or fisherman.
    Even though about starting a Radio 101 course as some guys are terrible at calling kms. That being said the heavy trucks have the right of way, I can pull a pickup out of the ditch not knowing I’m hooked to it but can a pickup pull a heavy out of the ditch, not a chance.
    If everyone would drive like there is oncoming traffic all would be good but in the years I’ve been driving I can only think of 2 collisions involving multiple vehicles and that’s driving close to 200K kms a year.
    Buy a radio, it’s still no guarantee but it’s better then not having one.
    Last edited by igojuone; 04-11-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Lol yup...I drive a loaded dump truck occasionally at work and my biggest piss off is when pulling up to a red light and you've calculated your stopping distance and all of a sudden some ass hat cuts in front of you and expects you to just stop...I couldn't imagine that scenario with a much heavier rig...
    I agree with you, many times I’ve said a new driver should spend a week riding with a trucker before getting a license. I’m sure I pissed off a few trucks in my day before getting my Class One license.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

There are lots of roads around here that are active for awhile and then non active. Plus lots of tourists. I don't have a radio, so what I do when I encounter a logging truck is to just GET THE F@CK out of the way. I'm less interested in my "right" to be on the road as I am interested in self preservation.

I drove trucks for a few years, they don't stop on a dime. Do your best to self preserve, don't worry too much about your rights.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    There are lots of roads around here that are active for awhile and then non active. Plus lots of tourists. I don't have a radio, so what I do when I encounter a logging truck is to just GET THE F@CK out of the way. I'm less interested in my "right" to be on the road as I am interested in self preservation.

I drove trucks for a few years, they don't stop on a dime. Do your best to self preserve, don't worry too much about your rights.
    ^^^ Agree, this is also kinda how i see it. One time we drove up to a logging truck that dumped its logs in a corner. I asked him how long ago that had happened , he replied a minute before we pulled up. Sometimes you just need to be a bit lucky !

Quit your whining about who should do what and who has the right of way. On back roads ,size matters . The bigger truck has the right of way. Loggers are some of the best drivers out there , some not so good , bad apple in every bunch. If your really concerned for your safety get a radio or drive with the attitude there is a loaded truck around every corner.

Resource vehicles have the right of way, to think otherwise is ridiculous, they are called resource roads. Dip schitts are found in all industries and business, but logging truck drivers are generally the best drivers out there. I worked for a logging contractor that had 5 guys who drove for 35-40yrs and never had an accident.

If anyone has trouble encountering a loaded logging truck, then they are going to be in real trouble when they come across a low bed with a Cat on board, the blade turns into a giant can opener, they don't/can't stop. They are twice as wide as a loaded logging truck if they are moving between sites on a resource road.
    Get a handheld radio for $250 and learn how to use it.

We used to pull over up the back of Chehailis/Elbow lake way back when they were running the 14’ wide off highway bunks coming down to Harrison Mills. Now those were big trucks.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've used all manner of fsr and private industrial roads extensively for 50 years and only can recall
    a couple of incidents where I almost got in an accident. I always drive on roads that show recent
    heavy truck usage as if there's one coming my way at any time. I normally use a radio but there are
    times the odd truck driver gets complacent or is too lazy to call his location and direction. As an example,
    I was following an empty logging truck heading in and the both of us almost got wiped out by a loaded
    truck from another company coming around a corner like a bat from hell...he had not called at any time
    as he made his way out over several miles. I will stop, shut off my motor, open windows, and listen for a
    couple of minutes to try and hear if a truck is coming toward me on a narrow section of road. I always take
    the extreme far right when going around corners. I'm always looking for an escape route...it's not only the
    heavy trucks to look out for, it's the regular car and pickup speeders, including atv riders as well. Even on wide
    straight sections I will pull over as best as what's safe to allow the loaded trucks as much room as possible.
    95% of the drivers I get to talk to say they really appreciate the courtesy. I've driven heavy commercial trucks
    for 46 years so understand the frustration they have about 'self righteous' and unthinking recreational drivers
    wandering all over the road, stopping on sharp corners to look at the view, even getting out to take pictures etc,
    and those hunters that go chase an animal leaving their truck in the middle of the road, doors open in a place
    2 cars couldn't pass. In a nut shell, drive with caution as if there's danger coming your way at any time, be courteous,
    and obey the rules of the road, including using a radio, and your chances of a safe journey are pretty darn good.