Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Tail Hunting - So Frustrated - what would you do HuntingBC?

Re: Black Tail Hunting - So Frustrated - what would you do HuntingBC?

Ya I love the Black tail 'support' threads too. Due to family reasons I've had to stay close to home this year and hunt these elusive little ghosts... Wow are they maddening! The seasons ticking down only a couple more weeks left and still haven't got a buck in my sights. Blacktails sure make you work hard for some steaks in the freezer!!

Hey Guys - awesome this thread was revived.

Here's my update - I'm a happy hunter this year. Instead of putting all my eggs in the BT basket, I harvested a WT buck and a doe during Thanksgiving weekend in my kootney honey hole and have spent the rest of the season chasing the grey ghosts.

I've seen tons of does, new terrain and haven't seen the a bt buck this year (except their ass end).

I have a few more weekends and I'm getting closer (I'm in his house/rubs/trails/does).

The big difference this year is my attitude - pressure is off with 200lbs of WT in the freezer and I'm calm cool and collected. And I'm having a blast. May have to invest in a bow.

Cheers - good luck everyone!

Here's something from TR:

"A black-tail buck is one of the most noble-looking of all deer. His branching and symmetrically curved antlers are set on a small head, carried with beautiful poise by the proud, massive neck..."

Collective wisdom says listen to your guts. I kid you not, listen to your gut. You might run around all day long and then just before heading off you bolt to a side, cut through some trees, dump on your knees and before you know it the buck of all bucks goes down for good as you're looking down your rifle's barrel.
    Last edited by Xenomorph; 11-30-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

I just spent a couple nights sleeping in the car freezing my face off and hunting hard daylight to dark, creeping from cover to cover, up one ridge to the next, stopping to look and listen anywhere from 10-30 mins at a time, minding the thermals. Lots of tracks (even in behind one of my cams not even checking out the salt) but didn't even see a doe. Heard one animal give me the slip but that was all. Third year trying for a BT but haven't even seen a BT buck during GOS. Seen about a half dozen does/fawns and some rear ends this season that "might" have been bucks. I'm starting to think in my spot they are more than 99% nocturnal (more like 99.99%) and catching one in his bed is the only way it will happen. Pretty sure any resident bucks have me patterned pretty good. I try to switch things up a little but I need to become less predictable. Maybe just maybe a migratory buck or frisky guy cruising will slip up. I have time for one more 2 night trip this season if I can still access my spot. Hunting these guys is so bloody addicting, painful and sometimes down right dangerous but I'll never stop until I'm physically unable, period.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    Hey Guys - awesome this thread was revived.

Here's my update - I'm a happy hunter this year. Instead of putting all my eggs in the BT basket, I harvested a WT buck and a doe during Thanksgiving weekend in my kootney honey hole and have spent the rest of the season chasing the grey ghosts.

I've seen tons of does, new terrain and haven't seen the a bt buck this year (except their ass end).

I have a few more weekends and I'm getting closer (I'm in his house/rubs/trails/does).

The big difference this year is my attitude - pressure is off with 200lbs of WT in the freezer and I'm calm cool and collected. And I'm having a blast. May have to invest in a bow.

Cheers - good luck everyone!

Here's something from TR:

"A black-tail buck is one of the most noble-looking of all deer. His branching and symmetrically curved antlers are set on a small head, carried with beautiful poise by the proud, massive neck..."
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to update. Sounds like you took some of our advice with regard to hunting the interior earlier in the season.

Great stuff! Now about those pics and stories...
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I just spent a couple nights sleeping in the car freezing my face off and hunting hard daylight to dark, creeping from cover to cover, up one ridge to the next, stopping to look and listen anywhere from 10-30 mins at a time, minding the thermals. Lots of tracks (even in behind one of my cams not even checking out the salt) but didn't even see a doe. Heard one animal give me the slip but that was all. Third year trying for a BT but haven't even seen a BT buck during GOS. Seen about a half dozen does/fawns and some rear ends this season that "might" have been bucks. I'm starting to think in my spot they are more than 99% nocturnal (more like 99.99%) and catching one in his bed is the only way it will happen. Pretty sure any resident bucks have me patterned pretty good. I try to switch things up a little but I need to become less predictable. Maybe just maybe a migratory buck or frisky guy cruising will slip up. I have time for one more 2 night trip this season if I can still access my spot. Hunting these guys is so bloody addicting, painful and sometimes down right dangerous but I'll never stop until I'm physically unable, period.
    Keep at it caddis. You will connect. I was out for 3/4s of a week. And I didn't see a thing. Lots of rubs. It is like they are nocturnal. I love blacktails.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    Keep at it caddis. You will connect. I was out for 3/4s of a week. And I didn't see a thing. Lots of rubs. It is like they are nocturnal. I love blacktails.
    I will never give up. Wish I could, but I am pretty obsessive, stubborn and a perfectionist... a recipe for insanity when it comes to BT's it seems. Though I figure persuing them is less of a challenge (and more fun) than giving up and not hunting them.

Hopefully it won't be the death of me. A couple weeks back I was climbing one of my ropes and had a large thermal cracked rock dislodge and come tumbling down. I couldn't bail off the rope and just tucked in the best I could to get my head out of the way. Ended up hitting the butt stock of my rifle against my hip. Left a pretty crazy bruise and added more character to the stock. Could have killed me though. Starting to think those BT's are setting traps for me

I'm out just about daily for the last while now. Finally got good sign going but can't put eyes on a deer for the life of me. I say what I have said for far to long, tomorrow's the day lol

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I will never give up. Wish I could, but I am pretty obsessive, stubborn and a perfectionist... a recipe for insanity when it comes to BT's it seems. Though I figure persuing them is less of a challenge (and more fun) than giving up and not hunting them.

Hopefully it won't be the death of me. A couple weeks back I was climbing one of my ropes and had a large thermal cracked rock dislodge and come tumbling down. I couldn't bail off the rope and just tucked in the best I could to get my head out of the way. Ended up hitting the butt stock of my rifle against my hip. Left a pretty crazy bruise and added more character to the stock. Could have killed me though. Starting to think those BT's are setting traps for me
    Glad to see you are okay. They are like mountain goats around here. I used to hunt them In Hatzic prairie. That was easy. I would sit on my father's porch. Drink coffee. And when ai seen one. I would grab the shotgun and go get it. These mountain deer are more of a challenge. Love to hunt them,And never will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    I'm out just about daily for the last while now. Finally got good sign going but can't put eyes on a deer for the life of me. I say what I have said for far to long, tomorrow's the day lol
    They are logging on strawberry island. I have heard of three bucks taken off of there so far. I am screwed for the rest of the season. My kid is going to have a baby soon. Well at least I got one blacktail spike. If you can get to the eagle tree ,you know where I am talking about. Good spot.