Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast

Thread: historic sheep harvest in 7b

Re: historic sheep harvest in 7b

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Actually, you may have missed it, but he did contribute to one thread on teaching sheep hunters. It was awhile ago, but I do recall that. Gotta give credit where it's due.

As for banning Willy, I am sure he will find himself away to get put in the penalty box for a day or 2 in the future, but he isn't a candidate for perma-ban.
    Must have missed it, apologies to Willy for making a positive contribution.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by willy442 View Post
    Not arguing that point at all Gate's. I'm only disagreeing with the crap that continually gets posted from other peoples work by stat's man.
    In this case, the stats are the stats and likely not far off. And when you talk about "in the field" I will bring up my "in the field" experience in this matter.

You live in Northern BC, there are plenty that are employed by G/Os or know someone that is or in some way connected. I live in Southern BC and because of my work, I have talked to people from all over the globe, 365 days a year. And I've worked with or know people from all over Canada and the world who now call BC their home, and I have a long connection with the Lower Mainland, too.

Many of my friends and co-workers are not hunters. So I have some insight into the thinking of the non hunting BCer.

From what I have learned is that BC'ers tolerate hunting if people are hunting to get food. And most of them understand about the adventure and that a big deer is more cool than a little deer, so it's a "trophy" but you are still gonna eat that deer so it's okay.

And virtually ALL of them can't stand the idea of "selling trophies" to foreigners. They just HATE the idea.

I can talk to them and say all the regular stuff like "trophy hunters actually kill less, because they are selective" or "They bring money on to our economy" or "the meat still gets eaten" etc etc....But they don't care.

They will say "why not just go on an Eco-Tour and take pictures?" (again,they dont' care that an Eco -tour for Stones sheep is not a zodiac ride up a river on the coast)

I am not supporting their position, since it's based on emotion and ignorance instead of facts, but that is in fact how they view things. So making a statement like "I want most bang for my buck for a sheep" might be a valid point in some circles, you will never get the non hunters to believe that you are correct. They will tell you to keep taking pictures of that sheep for 10 years to get the most bang for your buck, and tell the ego stroking foreigners to stay away from our wildlife.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 02-08-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    ROFLMAO.... !!!! hahahahaha... I've spent some long minutes on the phone trying to explain that simple function to Willy... To no avail apparently lol!!!
    He *is* getting closer....One day, maybe...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

In this case, the stats are the stats and likely not far off. And when you talk about "in the field" I will bring up my "in the field" experience in this matter.

You live in Northern BC, there are plenty that are employed by G/Os or know someone that is or in some way connected. I live in Southern BC and because of my work, I have talked to people from all over the globe, 365 days a year. And I've worked with or know people from all over Canada and the world who now call BC their home, and I have a long connection with the Lower Mainland, too.

Many of my friends and co-workers are not hunters. So I have some insight into the thinking of the non hunting BCer.

From what I have learned is that BC'ers tolerate hunting if people are hunting to get food. And most of them understand about the adventure and that a big deer is more cool than a little deer, so it's a "trophy" but you are still gonna eat that deer so it's okay.

And virtually ALL of them can't stand the idea of "selling trophies" to foreigners. They just HATE the idea.

I can talk to them and say all the regular stuff like "trophy hunters actually kill less, because they are selective" or "They bring money on to our economy" or "the meat still gets eaten" etc etc....But they don't care.

They will say "why not just go on an Eco-Tour and take pictures?" (again,they dont' care that an Eco -tour for Stones sheep is not a zodiac ride up a river on the coast)

I am not supporting their position, since it's based on emotion and ignorance instead of facts, but that is in fact the truth. So making a statement like "I want most bang for my buck for a sheep" might be a valid point in some circles, you will never get the non hunters to believe that you are correct. They will tell you to keep taking pictures of that sheep for 10 years to get the most bang for your buck, and tell the ego stroking foreigners to stay away from our wildlife.
    Won't bother telling both you and Carl what you can do with the Quotes.
    Part of the guides agenda right when we got out of the business was to go around to various schools and talk about the hunting and conservation of animals. I don't know right now if this was completed but I believe so. The root of changing peoples thinking is in the schools. Look at some of the crusty old characters on here. They had an in with the Big Brothers and Sisters after some of the summer trips taken by many of the outfits.

I have found those who weren't against hunting to be able to understand the reason for harvesting mature animals as long as they were eaten. Really the horns are just the result of killing the animal, so it's all about change, it is coming and we damn well better be prepared for it in force when it comes. It will take all hunters.

I have found those who weren't against hunting to be able to understand the reason for harvesting mature animals as long as they were eaten. Really the horns are just the result of killing the animal, so it's all about change, it is coming and we damn well better be prepared for it in force when it comes.
    You don't need to convince me....But that is the way most non hunters think.

It will take all hunters.
    Yes, and that is why GOABC and BCWF need to hash out a fair an equitable deal and stick to it. Because ultimately it isn't going to be us calling the shots, and if some heads don't get out of asses, they are going to call the shots without regard for us. Look at the grizzly "ideas" on the north coast for example of things to come.

Won't bother telling both you and Carl what you can do with the Quotes.
    Part of being cool on the intrawebis knowing how to use the quote thingy.

You figured out how to do this so it shouldn't be too hard...

Yes, and that is why GOABC and BCWF need to hash out a fair an equitable deal and stick to it. Because ultimately it isn't going to be us calling the shots, and if some heads don't get out of asses, they are going to call the shots without regard for us. Look at the grizzly "ideas" on the north coast for example of things to come.
    Well said

Part of being cool on the intrawebis knowing how to use the quote thingy.

You figured out how to do this so it shouldn't be too hard...
    I've never thought of being cool. Too damn old to be worried about it now.

I've never thought of being cool. Too damn old to be worried about it now.[/quote]
    Willy your never to old to learn !!!
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Bridger
    I think this is great info for the resident hunters that sheep hunt and i am trying to find out where the densest sheep count is for stone sheep in the province.