Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about headwear

Let's talk about headwear

Alright ladies and gents, let's get on the topic of what's on your head... What kind of hat or headwear do you prefer, and why?

I've been debating heavily lately to pick up a tilley, boonie, or outback oilskin hat. Something with a wider brim. I'm used to wearing ball cap style, but it's never the best in adverse weather or freak rain storms..

Let's hear your opinions and styles!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Let's talk about headwear

Usually the ball cap but I do own an outdoor research Seattle sombrero for the nasty stuff.

Anything but a Tilley. You don't want to look like a lesbian bird watcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Anything but a Tilley. You don't want to look like a lesbian bird watcher.
    Or a gay bus driver.

Unless you are one, then it's totally cool.

Some good insight here. Never heard of outdoor research, so that will be an option. Looks like they have a few different models to choose from that are waterproof.
    Anyone have any experience with a waxed cotton or oilskin during spring or summer weather? I have doubts about its breathability

Tilley hats are hand made in Canada and have a lifetime warranty. Waxed cotton and oilskin have no breathability.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Another one I've seen is the Frogg Toggs boonie hat. Seems inexpensive, and fits the bill. Anyone have any experience with these?

Unless it's really warm out I have a fleece tuque from Cabela's that I use for everything from waterfowling to big game hunting. Came with matching gloves too!

I have a large collection of camo ball caps picked up as free promotional items at trade shows. I use those in nice weather.

I have a wax Amundson cowboy hat I found in a free box on one of my morning bike rides so I wear that in the city to look cool. Wide brim hats don't suit my hunting. I'd be picking the darn thing up more than wearing it after squeezing between trees and bushes.
    Last edited by MichelD; 04-14-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Ya, I do alot of bush wacking myself, hence why I'm looking for experience from people in real world conditions. I guess a packable boonie as well as a ball cap would be a good decision

Mild to warm conditions i just wear a hat and throw a hood up if needed. Really cold weather i have a trappers hat or a wool toque.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................